Author Topic: t/c 44 mag what scope  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Plumbrich

• Trade Count: (0)
t/c 44 mag what scope
« on: December 22, 2002, 03:24:53 PM »
I got a t/c 44 mag barrel it came with a t/c scope.After firing aroung 800 300 grain hard cast bullets over 20g 296 the cross hair broke.I sent it back new scope was returned in just a few days pleased with that.The day i sent it off i went to the gun shop and bought a burris 2-7 hand gun scope.Around 600 rounds and the back end came off with the glass hiting me in the head.sent it back still waiting.Put the t/c scope back on that they sent me.Shot 300 rounds last weekend and went back today.After around 200 more rounds the cross broke on it also.I have a 223,357.357max.30-30 and a 7tcu all of these barrels have swift 6x30 scopes and never a problem...All these calibers have very little recoil my 44 has the most.I dont want to put the swift on my 44 i dont think it will hold up either.Finally my question what scope do i need to put on this barrel I'am sick and tired of resighting this thing it shoots very,very well.I need something that can hold up to around 10,000 rounds a year.At least something that can hold up longer than two or three week ends.Thanks in advance..   P.S. all my guns and scopes are in padded cases and the 44mag barrel has not been anywere but in the case or on the padded bench.
Without Plumbers there would be alot more crap in the world

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 03:45:22 PM »
Ya didn't say what mounting system you are using but I'll bet dollars to do-nuts the scopes aren't the problem the mounting job is.

I generally use Weaver 92A bases except on custom barrels and I generally go with the barrel makers base then. I use Burris Zee Rings. It is best to lap them but if you don't have the equipment to do that then buy Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts. Make sure you clean off all the oil from them before mounting scope.

Improper mounting is the cause of probably 90% of scope failures blamed on recoil. Your results are most typical of improperly mounted scopes that came apart.

But back to the original question. A fixed 2X is all you need for a .44 mag.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Plumbrich

t/c scope
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 04:09:09 PM »
The tc scopes are the ones with a rail built on the scope and slides into the mount on the gun it is held by 4 screws.I have never seen those before i seen the t/c.I just slid It in and tightend down.The burris i installed the weaver 92A mount and weaver rings did not lap.I guess it is possible the burris was a fluke and i installed the t/c's wrong.I have never delt with that kind of scope and mount before.all my others have 92A bases with plain ole simmons rings and no problems.I also understand the others dont have the recoil and are more forgiving on the mounting system.I'am thankfull for you'r reply I had rather find i'am doing somthing wrong and correct the problem than have to keep going thru this.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 04:33:09 PM »
Can't speak to the old TCs with rail mount. No experience with them. Generally speaking tho when mounting scopes in rings if rings aren't properly aligned and lapped you run the risk of breakage of scope. Sure don't always happen but most times when the scope breaks that is the reason.

Since you have the Weaver 92A base get a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and put on a 2X fixed by either Leupold or Bushnell and be a happy camper.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Plumbrich

t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply GB i will try the bushnell and z-rings and have a gun smith do the lapping.The rail mount seems to be a real strong system but it mounts the scope higher than i like.I like the scope almost touching the barrels.I see guys on hear with 45-70's with t/c scopes with no problems so that would make me belive it is something i'am doing wrong.When they send the scope back it will give me a reason to get a 22 RF barrel cant let a scope set there by it self.

Offline KN

t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 05:34:24 PM »
I gotta agree with GB, I have alot harder kickers than 44mags and cheaper scopes than you are using and I havn't lost one yet. Got to be a mounting problem. KN

Offline Gregory

t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 02:44:48 AM »
I mounted a Burris 2-7X in a Weaver base with unlapped Burris Z rings on my 14" 44 Mag barrel and the scope broke within 10 rounds.  I now have a Nikon 2X, in the same rings, on that barrel, and it's still going strong.  I prefer the Nikon 2X to a Leupold 2X, its brighter and has a larger field of view.  
Greg
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline kevin

• Avid Poster
lapping
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2002, 02:03:06 AM »
:roll:  AH gb how do you lapp the rings to be honest i've never heard of this being done before, i two have had problems with a t/c rail scope go to pot on a 10" ocyagon .44 mag barrel i thought that the mount sucked
but sent the scope tot/c and they not only didn't repare the scope but sent me a brand new 2-7x22 lighted reticle and the mounts you gb were talking about and wever rings the interesting ting about the rings and base was they are all stamped with the t/c logo i have to say i was impressed and quite happy, i have since given up on the barrel and sent it on its way have a 629 classic delux with weaver mount and weaver rings and leopld scope thats taken a bore hog at15 yards useing 300 grain jfp, and still going strong.
TOS violation warning given 4-2-05 Account deactivated 4-5-05. E-mail GB to get reinstated.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2002, 06:29:59 PM »
If the rings are real Weaver rings don't reckon you can lap them. Hard to lap anything but horizontally split rings.

Ya gotta have a lapping bar for 1" rings or 30mm if that was what you had. Can get them from Sinclair or Brownells. Maybe other places also. You'll need a lapping paste. Should get it where you get the bar.

Take off the top ring half and set the scope in the rings while the screw that holds ring to base is only partly tight. Get it as snug a fit as possible and tighten screws holding ring to base with scope in place. Remove scope.

Put some lapping compound in each ring bottom half. Lap using bar with a rotating and back and forth motion at same time. Do this for say one minute and clean off the lapping compound from ring halves and see how much contact are is now touching. You'll be able to tell. It will be an eye opener. If needed lap again. Try to get about 80% or better contact. With some rings that is impossible. Good rings can get 100% contact.

Check to see where the bar removed the most metal when lapping to see just how bad it was and that was helping to align them using the scope first.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline KN

t/c 44 mag what scope
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2002, 03:14:21 PM »
Why would you think that you can't lap Weaver rings? Thats about all I use and I always lap them. The only real difference is in the top piece. The bottoms are basically the same as any other type of ring. With the exception of the "Z" rings.  KN