Author Topic: Squib question  (Read 661 times)

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Squib question
« on: May 25, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
I had to qualify last Saturday at the range and I had a factory round squib on me. I don't think there was any powder in the round, the primer just blew the bullet inito the rifling where it started in the barrel, and my trainer said he had to have the gun checked out by a gun smith for damage :o

As someone that reloads, I've had that happen a number of times, so I got to work Monday before my trainer did and I just took the gun to my shop and knocked the bullet out with a quarter inch extension. It came out easy, but he was ticked about it and I thought "What's the big deal"? Anyway, I got in trouble for it, and I got my tail chewed over it. What damage could occur from such a missfire?
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Savage

Re: Squib question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:38:05 AM »
It's more about departmental procedure than anything, assuming it's an issue weapon. Although I've only had a couple of squibs myself, (Both factory & reloads), a squib rod is standard equipment in my range bag. I've used it numerous times at the range to clear squibs for other shooters. A brass rod is preferable to the one you used. Assuming you took precautions to protect the barrel crown, I don't see how you could have damaged your pistol.  Guess you learned your lesson!! :o ;D
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:10 AM »
If you shoot alot you will see them. I have seen several. I have seen a round fired after a bullet lodged in a bbl. result damaged bbl. Saw a gun smith have one in a match . He was shooting a XP-100 in 7BR . He pulled the bullet from the next round chambered the bulletless round and knocked the target over.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bubbinator

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
Good for you. I was a State Police Firearms Instructor for 15 yrs and I am a"gun guy".  I praised Agts who took the initiative to clear their own malfuctions and stoppages. What will happen when you get in a gun fight and something goes wrong?-Raise your hand? We have cleared weapons on the firing line with a piece of GI cleaning rod(from another Agts range bag-not an Instructor's Range Box, and kept firing! I read Non-Gun  savy instructor in your post. We had some too. One Agt in the Northern part of my state didn't even own a non-state issue weapon, yet he was sent to the school. It bitthem in the ass later. His lack of skill/knowledge of the culture and basic training techniques resulted in so many "Fail to Qualify" reports on his range that he was taken out of the program. One female Agt who never qualified on his range due his shouting at her and demeaning her scores shot 90s on my range with a few tips, trigger/sight alignment drills and kind words. When we did the combat courses(2 a yr quals/2 a yr combat courses) she did great because she had the confidence that she could shoot! We carried Sig P220 45s at that time loaded w/ Federal 230 +P Hydra-shoks.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
So then I am right thinking the sqib alone won't damage the barrel, it's the round after if it isn't cleared that damages the gun (Duh) :P
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
You are right, knock the bullet out and continue on.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.