Author Topic: WWII Lyle Gun  (Read 1675 times)

Offline ZOZ

• Trade Count: (0)
WWII Lyle Gun
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
I inherited and old canon from my Grandfather which has sat decaying away at my parents house and now my house for several years. From what I have been able to learn it is a WWII Lyle Gun. I am planning on restoring the Canon to its original “Glory” and keeping around for one of my children to have.

My questions are:
1. Any suggestions on how to remove the rust? Is sandblasting an option or would that be too harsh for this piece?
2. Any suggestions on the type of paint or finish to use for maximum weather protection?
3.Once restored would it be safe and legal to fire the canon with paper wadded in the barrel? I live on a 3 acre property which backs to 38 acres of protected land.
3.If the canon is safe and legal to fire can anyone advise me on the specifics of loading, type of powder, igniter, and so on for this canon?

I have always wanted to restore this thing and possibly fire it. For some readon (Memorial Day weekend I guess) I decided to lug it up from my shed to the garage and start working on it.

I appreciate any help you can offer me on this.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: WWII Lyle Gun
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:18:17 PM »
ZOZ,

Welcome to the board.  I'm sure you will get the answers you are looking for. However, you may want to post some photos of your Lyle Gun or, at least give us a description of it such as the manufacture. Some of the earlier Lyle Guns were cast and I would not recommend shooting one of those.

Here is one that I own.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »
You might want to start with J.P. Barnett's book Lifesaving guns of David Lyle.  http://www.southbendreplicas.com/page1c.htm

What you have is not a cannon but a life saving gun. It was used to launch lines from ship to ship, ship to shore and shore to ship often for the purpose of rescue.

There is some collector interest in these gun but not high interest.

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »

What you have is not a cannon but a life saving gun. It was used to launch lines from ship to ship, ship to shore and shore to ship often for the purpose of rescue.

I would suggest that any artillery on my side is a "life saving gun."

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
Is that a Sculler you have intoodeep ? I have #2386 and it will most likely be fired a few times tomorrow.
Bob 

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »
What are the bore sizes of these posted Lyle guns?

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
mine is 2 1/2",  coors beer can is a perfect fit. 

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »
mine is 2 1/2",  coors beer can is a perfect fit.

It gives true meaning to "Silver Bullet".  rmagill, mine is a Sculler also.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
Your gun doesn't look too bad, nothing that disassembly, a stiff wire brush, and some citrus stripper won't fix.  I use Rustoleum primer (2 coats) and then the Rustoleum top coat of your choice for things that will live outdoors.  What shape is the bore in? Lightly rusted or corroded badly?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
If you want to shoot it, and the barrel is unlined, you can make a slide-in/removable steel sleeve that has a breech plug with a powder chamber.  Use 2-1/2" x .375" wall tubing [Golf ball bore]  turned down to slip into the Lyle bore.  Make it with a 7/8" diameter x 1-1/2" deep chamber.  Thread the muzzle face of the sleeve for a pull out handle for easy removal.  Drill the vent to align with the Lyle gun vent. Make sure the breech end on the sleeve has 100 percent contact with the bore face of the lyle gun.  In the p[ast when I had large equipment.  I made several of these removable/shootable liner sleeves.  Video attached of a small one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUdJc-GODXc

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
ZOZ,    Does your gun have any markings?  I found my book and may be able to help you a little if it has a name cast anywhere. It looks like you are missing about half the firing mechanism which last I knew could still be found at least as reproductions. The biggest question is condition of the bore and finding out if it is cast or drilled from steel billet as the cast ones tend to be weaker. They make a great gun as long as you aren't worried about accuracy since they are made to shoot over and not actually hit their target.  Looks like a great project to me.
Bob