Author Topic: 2nd try with reflex sight on .357 Handi...  (Read 1012 times)

Offline PhillB

• Trade Count: (0)
2nd try with reflex sight on .357 Handi...
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
Had to give the refles sight a 2nd chance.  This time I used an all black bull instead of one with a white center.  At least I could see the red-dot today. :)  Conditions weren't very good, the wind is blowing at least 35mph and we have severe weather all over Indiana.  That's why I only fired 10 shots.  Going to give it another try on a day with less wind to be fair but I looked around and found a 1.75x shotgun scope and a 4x rifle scope I will try later.  First I'll have to get a hammer extension or find someone with fingers much smaller than mine to cock the hammer on the Handi.lol  I think I shot a little better today despite the wind.  Here's a photo of the target.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: 2nd try with reflex sight on .357 Handi...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
All right, now we're getting somewhere.
I bought the Uncle Mike's hammer extension from Midway. I tried it on the left side (I shoot right handed) but found that if I put it on the right side it's faster and easier to reach.
Now I'm looking for a decent 2.5X or 1.5X for my .357 barrel, either that or cough up $400 for an Aimpoint 9000SC.
My buddy just bought an Aimpoint, and it is far superior to my Reflex sight as far as clarity, precision and it's very easy on the eyes.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:08:03 AM »
All right, now we're getting somewhere.
I bought the Uncle Mike's hammer extension from Midway. I tried it on the left side (I shoot right handed) but found that if I put it on the right side it's faster and easier to reach.
Now I'm looking for a decent 2.5X or 1.5X for my .357 barrel, either that or cough up $400 for an Aimpoint 9000SC.
My buddy just bought an Aimpoint, and it is far superior to my Reflex sight as far as clarity, precision and it's very easy on the eyes.

HH,
The aimpoint is used by a lot of Bullseye shooters on the 1911.  On the slow fire course they are shooting 50 yards, one handed at a 3.3" circle, with a 5" barrel pistol.  I would think the aimpoint would be great on a 357 Maxi Handi, if it didn't cost so much. :(

Phil,
I bet went you get a scope on your gun your group size is going to shrink a lot. 

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline PhillB

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
Phil,
I bet went you get a scope on your gun your group size is going to shrink a lot. 

BB

I think you are right. ;D  I mounted the 4x scope on my Handi and took it out in the backyard.  After firing a few shots get in the ballpark I shot this group.  What a difference the scope made.

My 4th shot I pulled the gun off target so it really spread the group size but the other 4 shots shot a pretty tight group for me anyway.lol  I'm using a 100yd target for sighting in scopes that has the one inch squares that are divided into half in squares.  That 4 shot group almost fits inside the 1/2in squares.  Needless to say I'm pretty tickled and look forward to working up some more loads for my .357 Handi.