Author Topic: Ever had any powder blow on the bench?  (Read 776 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ever had any powder blow on the bench?
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »
Just wondering about a little static electricity that is around from time to time...  no sparks but sometimes the powder grains want to stick to the powder tray when I dump the unused powder back into the container...  And if anyone ever had some powder blow up on the bench, and what the details were... 

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
Re: Ever had any powder blow on the bench?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
Never had any powder blow up on the bench or at any point in the reloading precess,I get some static electricity in the powder hopper or funnel at time.  Just wiping it down with a dryer sheet generally takes care of the problem.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
 In my entire reloading career (mebbe 30+ years, off an on)only time gun powder has burned for me, is when set off by a primer while in a case, or by a match held by me... ::) . Haven't heard of any static electricity setting off powder or primers. I did read somewhere someone tried to ignite powder with static electricy but failed to do so. (FWIW!)

Offline nicholst55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »
Smokeless powder is classified as a solid flammable, NOT an explosive.  If it were anywhere near as dangerous as the OP suggests, it would be so highly regulated that we wouldn't be able to buy it.  On top of that, nobody would be willing to handle it during reloading, and factory ammo would cost 10 times what it does now!

Use common sense while handling it or when around it (don't smoke, don't set it on fire), and you'll be fine.  As stated above, if powder starts sticking to your measure or scale, wipe it down with a dryer sheet; problem solved.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
dryer sheet works,so does washing the plastic item in dish soap ,not rinsing and let it air dry. BTW, the dryer sheetsused, make great cleaners for soap scum on the shower enclosure.

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 05:07:37 AM »
Sounds like the soap scum is the bigger threat.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »
I have never had modern "green" powder blow up on the bench. I have put a little in a metal bowl and lit it up with a match. It burns hot and bright, but no explosion. It has to be in a confined space and have an ignition source to explode. Black powder is a whole 'nother matter. Really, modern powder is pretty safe, but use some common sense, do not smoke around it.

Just to be safe and not give anyone any "ideas", I did some editing.

Good Shooting and Good Luck

Stimpy was here  ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »
We loaded some 45LC blanks, for mounted shooting, and were told to use a different powder measure, as the standeard plastic one could cause problems due to static electricity. This was with black powder though, not smokeless.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
No, and I doubt the possibility.  Fire is a real danger, but not explosion.  Smokeless powder is sometimes hard to ignite, even with a match.  I've poured small amounts out and lit it just to see how fast it burns.  Some of the ball powders just fizzle, sorta like cannot fuse.

Normally, when I'm reloading however, I don't keep more powder on the bench than necessary.  I pour out small amounts, and store the closed container....if for no other reason than to prevent contamination or spillage...

Always be careful ;)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 05:36:44 AM »
Very little chance of static electricity causing an ignition.  Even with real Black Powder, which is explosive!  Static sparks tend to jump from the surface of one object to the surface of another, not to the inside of an object like a the hopper of a powder measure.  The only time I've ever heard of powder being ignited when in a hopper was when someone accidently broke a light bulb that was over the bench and the element dropped into the hopper.  The person should have had the lid on the hopper and this wouldn't have happened.

I've loaded black powder cartridges off and on for years.  At first I worried that I should use one of the meaures that are designated to be "safe for black powder use" that are made from brass or aluminum.  This is just a gimmic that costs more money, and helps make the manufacturers more lawyer-proof.  I do have an old Belding and Mull that has a brass hopper, but only because it looks cool and it dispenses powder very accurately.

Think about it.....even black powder comes in plastic containers these days!  Plastic is supposed to be a no-no for black powder.  Go figgure!  Just use good common sense and you'll be fine.

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
Good to know, thanks.