Author Topic: Concealed Carry Passes in Wisconsin  (Read 648 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Concealed Carry Passes in Wisconsin
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »
 The Wisconsin Concealed Carry Bill has passed both the Senate and Assembly and awaits Scott Walkers signature. The usual democrat Nay votes were again the norm. All but one republican voted for the bill. ***Again pointing out that the democrats are the party of gun control.***

This gem though is from the JS Online webite.

Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca (D-Kenosha) said he supported concealed carry in principle and would probably apply for a permit. But he said that lawmakers should have made the bill's training requirement more stringent to ensure that permit holders have had training in actually shooting a firearm. He said that stronger training provisions would help Wisconsin's permits to be recognized in more states.

"I can't imagine why anybody would be opposed to that," Barca said. "Let's do it right."

The guy votes NO but he "supported concealed carry in principle and would probably apply for a permit." Principal? What principals? Just another bottom feeding "do as I say, not as I do" politician.

Here is the particulars of the bill that was emailed to me.\

After reading the CC bill, this is what I got out of SB93. This should NOT be considered official.

WI CCW for Dummies

167.31 - car carry of handgun is allowed, discharge of a handgun from a vehicle is allowed if in self-defense.
941.23 - concealed - permit only
948.605 - GFSZ - On school grounds is a class I felony. From border to 1000' without permit is a class b forfeiture. Still refers to the Federal GFSZ for the case, which is unloaded, encased, locked.
941.235 - public buildings - if licensed.
941.237 - Alcohol - if licensed and not drinking.
29.089 - State parks - if licensed.
66.0409 - preemption - Add preemption of discharge of a weapon if in self defense.

In no case do I see a requirement to conceal at any of the locations, so the permit is not just a conceal carry permit but conceal or open carry in 'special' places.

Requirement for reciprocity is that the issuing state either requires background checks or allows background checks and the person who got the permit got a background check (kinda wacky!) Out of state licenses are not honored as licenses by WI for WI residents.

Training:

(4) TRAINING REQUIREMENTS. (a) The proof of training requirement under sub.
(7) (e) may be met by any of the following:
1. A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization that
conducted the course or program, that indicates the individual completed any of the
following:
a. The hunter education program established under s. 29.591 or a substantially
similar program that is established by another state, country, or province and that
is recognized by the department of natural resources.
b. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state
organization that certifies firearms instructors.
c. A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is
offered by a law enforcement agency or, if the course is taught by an instructor who
is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or
by the department, by a technical college, a college or a university, a private or public
institution or organization, or a firearms training school.
d. A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement
officers or to owners and employees of licensed private detective and security
agencies.
e. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms
instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms
instructors or who is certified by the department.
2. Documentation that the individual completed military, law enforcement, or security training that gave
the individual experience with firearms that is substantially equivalent to a course
or program under subd. 1.
3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license,
that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or
has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county
or municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked
for cause.
4. Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the
U.S. armed forces, reserves, or national guard as demonstrated by an honorable
discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions or a certificate of
completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small
arms training and certification.
(b) 1. The department shall certify instructors for the purposes of par. (a) 1. c.
and e. and shall maintain a list of instructors that it certifies. To be certified by the
department as an instructor, a person must meet all of the following criteria:
a. Be qualified under sub. (3) to carry a concealed weapon.
b. Be able to demonstrate the ability and knowledge required for providing
firearms safety and training.
2. The department may not require firing live ammunition to meet the training
requirements under par. (a).

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: Concealed Carry Passes in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
Congrats to the citizens of Wisconsin for regaining the right to keep and BEAR arms.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
well good deal for the citizens of wisconsin! my old home state that my dad took us out of 35 yrs ago because of high taxes and over regulation of just about everything yu can imagine.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
carbineman, gave the bill a quick look. It might be in there, but didn't see it. Make sure there is a pre-emption law with this bill. When Ohio passed their ccw bill years ago, big cities like Cleveland,Columbus and a couple more made plans to exempt themselves from the law. The rino gov we had at the time, never signed the bill, just let it sit on his desk 30 days to let it pass. It took the next gov. we had, a very conservative Dem. to make the bill right.He added a pre-emption clause to tell the big city's to take a long walk off a short pier. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman