Author Topic: Why don't they listen?  (Read 900 times)

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Why don't they listen?
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:26:37 PM »
Hello, everyone..I'v got to vent on this one...I have slowly been accumulating the tools needed to get an original Ballard target rifle in .25-25 Stevens shooting.  I have quite a few original Ideal moulds, and have cast up samples from 77gr. to 100gr. (twist is 1-12").  Cases are on order from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.  Due to the rifles age & since it's a Ballard, I have decided to play it safe and use black..at most duplex if I want cleaner burn..have purchased Swiss FFFG.  I made up 36" 1/4"dia. brass drop tube for charging.  I have original Ideal #3 nickled tong tool, but thought something more modern would be in line, so special ordered from Huntington's an RCBS three piece die set in .25-25 Stevens.  When I spoke with the salesman on the phone, I asked twice if these were set up for cast-bullet use?  He assured me they were, with everything dimensioned correctly..I have had trouble in the past with RCBS & Redding concerning these dimensions.
   Well, the dies arrived & first thing I did was to mike the expander...I should have known, .253"dia....Groove dia. is .257, and I had planned on using .258" dia. bullet!  For soft cast, I like expander to be at or at most .001 under bullet dia.  Case springback takes care of rest, without damage to bullet base edge.  That .253 dia. would be a tight squeeze with jacketed.
I will give RCBS a call Monday to see if they have custom sizes available.  I checked with Lyman..their .25 "M" die measures .255" dia.  better, but still a bit small for soft plain base.  Are we cast bullet shooters the red headed step children of the shooting world?  I realize it is all supply and demand..but hey, these were "custom" dies..at the very least, they could have gotten closer on the expander size.  Thanks guy's.

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Why don't they listen?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »
I agree ---  I see  -- on E-bay   ---"bullet mold"     and a picture of the mold  -- closed  and a 12 inch ruler below with the words 9 inch handels..  No numbers !!!  ---------  thats my rant ------

I'm a 25 cal fan..  And that vintage rifle is something I'd like to hear more about   -- please keep us posted.

I have a  Lyman   257 -128   about 80 Gr and pointy. If you want to trade  some cast bullets.
                                                                          Dan

Offline nicholst55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
CH-4D will make any size expander you want for a Lyman 'M' die, so money is the only object there.  I share your frustration, though, trying to load cast bullet ammo with dies dimensioned for jacketed bullets.

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:59:29 AM »
This is why, with so many of my odd and unusual guns (and many not so odd) I make my own reloading tools. You simply can't buy what you need, especially for us cast bullet and paper patch folks. BTW, why buy dies for that 25-25? I'd think reloading it by hand without resizing anything would give you the best accuracy. Maybe a little case mouth resizing at the most, possibly with a 25-20 die or a custom one to give you just what you need?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
I was reading earlier today about 25-20 cartridges. Original 25-20 Single shot was a longer version, Winchester made 25-20 WCF for use in their lever action rifles, and there was the 25-20 Stevens. Could the RCBS have used other than 25-20 Stevens specs.?