Author Topic: Best 1-4X scope  (Read 2981 times)

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Best 1-4X scope
« on: April 02, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Was at a carbine match today and got to compare some 1-4x optics.  I have a Millett DMS, but it wasn't on the rifle today.  I like it, but it has lots of distortion at 1x and is a bit sensitive to eye relief.

One guy in our squad had the SWFA Super Sniper 1-4.  Better glass than the Millett, but the circle/mil-bar reticle is a bit cluttered and it seemed to be a bit more sensitive to eye relief.

Another guy had the Trijicon TR24.  The glass and field of view were amazing. . . but it should be for $800. 

What do you think is the best, not necesarily out of this list (Nikon, S&B, USO, Burris, etc.)?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Best 1-4X scope
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »
The Leupold Vari-X II is the only 1-4 scope I've had and it's a good one but I just really don't care much for scopes with 20mm objective lens. I know at that power range it should be plenty but I like at least a 28mm objective so I no longer own it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »
  Like Bill, the only ones in this power range I have owned are Leupold. I still have two VX II 1x4x20mm both in "shotgun" with bold cross hair reticules. 
I had a VX III 1.5x5x20mm for a time, but didn't "need" it at the time and sold it to a friend who did. It was clearer and brighter than the VX II's.

Whats the BEST has allot of personal opinion involved. Best bar none, without concern for $$, Best I can afford, Best I'm willing to accept...  :o ::)

Personally, I choose Leupold Scopes and have yet to be disappointed.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:56:18 AM »
the only two i have are the trijicon 1x4 which is about as good as it gets under a grand and a varixIII leupold 1.5x5 which is also fine scope. Seeing that leupold is using the same glass in the vxII that the old varixIII has id say it would be a great choise if moneys a consern. Ive got two 3x9 and one 2x7 vxIIs and im pretty impressed with them. they do much better in low light then the old varixII models. Another scope to look at thats even cheaper the really impresses me opticaly is the weaver 1x3x20. Its good good glass and seems to be rugged. Ive had one on a 16 tc contendor carbine in 4570 and believe me that little gun tests the ruggedness of scopes.
blue lives matter

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 04:49:27 AM »
I really like the Bushnell Banner.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
I had a VX-2 1x4 with a Premier Reticles #4 and gave it t my son. I'd get a Nikon African 1x4 if I was in the market for a 1x4. I like Nikon's glass more than Leupold. BTW, I have several Leupolds.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
I have the 1X4 Leupold on a Mod 742.  Been there for 25 years or more.  Doesn't see much use anymore but I like it for jump shooting and running shots.  Learn to keep both eyes open and you'll find that it is faster than open sights when set around 2.5X.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
I think a lot of what we consider "best" has to do with how it is intended to be used.  I'm thinking more for carbine and 3-Gun competition, whereas many of you are using yours for dangerous game and/or woods rifles.  I know there's some overlap, but they are different uses and have slightly different needs.  I also think that reticle preference has a lot to do with it as well.  But thanks for the input.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »
Are you thinking of the 1-4 for the size and how low it can be mounted on an AR?
Or are you thinking about the power and that at 1X it is basically a red dot sight and gives you some magnafication for longer 200 yard shots?

If best is what you are after the Trijicon is great.
If you are looking for something that works and is with in a price range the
Weaver V7 2.5 to 7X 32 may be the ticket
2.5 power is going to meet most of you needs for 3 gun.
and you don't need to dial it all the way up to 7, but can if needed.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:19:42 AM »
mcwoodduck, I'm not really looking to get anything new.  Just wondered people's opinions on the matter.  One of the guys at the shoot had his mounted low and I couldn't stand it that way.  I think on a AR they need to be 2.6" high. . .it just doen't feel right otherwise (except for bench guns. . .then it's ok to be lower).

And yes, I liked the Trijicon a lot.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:10:58 PM »
I was thinking about mounting the scope on the carrying handle
Sometimes I will mount a 4X24 AR scope on my AR15 for bowling pin team shoots.
Looked at mounting a 3-9 X 40 at one point but my head was so far off the stock it was not doing me any good.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
The other really good one:

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-8-riflescopes/mark-8-1-1-8x24mm-cqbss-front-focal/

New from Leupold, sure looked nice at SHOT.

Unfortunately about the same price as the March above. But BEST? Yep, it's on up there.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
Yeah that Mark 8 ought to be good. . . for $4K!

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:09 AM »
Yeah that Mark 8 ought to be good. . . for $4K!
Hey,
You're the one that said the Best,
Sorry, but the best usually costs more.
Ribeye steaks are a lot more than hamburger.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 06:39:52 AM »
Yeah, I guess I opened the door on that one!  Oh well, I guess I better start saving.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:40 AM »
Yeah, I guess I opened the door on that one!  Oh well, I guess I better start saving.
I think there is about $48 in change in my fund.  I keep adding all the change I get during the day to it.
It keeps going down everytime I use all the change in the car for parking in the city and I restock the car.
Ding meters,
And people call the slot machines one armed bandits.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 05:21:14 AM »
I understand completely.  I don't think I'll be buying anything for the AR for a while since I just got my rebored 338-06 back and it still needs a new trigger and a scope. 

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »
I have a Spare 4X32 Weaver Shotgun scope that I got from Tim a while a go I can lend you.
Or I think i still have a Japaneese 3-9 X 32 Bushnell Banner, that was on my 22 Mag.  Need to look in the gun closet.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »
Thanks.  I think I'll just swap my Nikon 3-9 over and I have a friend that has a Redfield 4-12 that he said he'd sell me, so I may just go ahead and get that.  At least that's my thought right now.

Offline AWS

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:18:20 AM »
I've been using a couple of VX-II 1x4's, and a Elite 4200 1.25x4x24mm on a few predator calling rigs.  I like the Leupolds on light rigs and the red dot in the Elite 4200 but it is a lot heavier scope.  These scopes are on rigs where I expect to do most of my shooting in heavier cover with just an occsional long shot.
For more open country I've been going to 1.5x6x 42mm on my bolt action coyote guns.

AWS