Author Topic: Cast bullets and the Hornet  (Read 362 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cast bullets and the Hornet
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »
 A couple months ago I got lucky and found a like new 40 grain .224 mould, sizing die and top punch at a gun show. My only regret is not having bought more of the offered moulds he had. Anyway, I have been wanting to try cast in my 10 inch T/C barrelled Hornet for some time and last night I got a number of the air cooled wheel weight cast bullets sized, lubed and checked. After a couple of years of casting only big bore, these little buggers are kinda tough. i had a fair number of rejects, both after casting and then again while sizing. Before I start reloading, has anyone done any load development for the Hornet with cast? I really enjoy using cast bullets and coaxing them along to good accuracy and enough performance for hunting.

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
Re: Cast bullets and the Hornet
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:54 PM »
Hello, greenrivers.  Boy are you in for some fun!  I have been shooting cast in a Shillen barreled Borchardt Hornet, & a Ruger No. 1 in .222 Rem. since the early 90's.  In the Hornet, I first worked up the most accurate jacketed-match bullet loads..it was shooting in the .3's.  Now I had my benchmark.  Five years, custom moulds, special tapered die for matching first band to chamber leade & dia., nose-first sizing dies, and LOTS of testing, later, & I was able to equal best jacketed bullet accuracy at 100yds.  Now I can't do this every time out, but enough to know it's not a fluke.  I have found that you can get these little pills too hard..cast some up from straight Steriotype metal..harder than Lyno..the little old-style Lyman 225215..it weighed 45gr. liked it, but everything else didn't.  I now dilute this hard alloy with soft lead.  I had tried just about every mould I could get my hands on, including an Eagan MX 3.  Sometimes they shot ok, but were not consistant.  Then I happened to come across an old original Ideal 22536..this was for the old .22-15-60 Stevens black powder number.  It weighed 60grs!  I took these to work, & using a collet stop on a bench lathe, faced off to 50grs.  On some, I turned a gas-check shank.  At range, these were some of the most accurate bullets I had shot to date!  Sent off samples to Fred Leeth at Pioneer Products for custom nose-pour plain base & gas-check versions.  You know whats funny?...For pure ACCURACY...NOT velocity, the plain base likes 7.0gr. H4227, the gas check has to have .3gr. more....3gr!  I got discusted with the poor quality of some .22 gas-checks..they tend to be uneven in height & base is wavy.  Tried annealing & flattening..helped some.  I had Dave Corbin make up a die & punch to remove the offending wavy center altogether..The jury is still out on this one though.  Best of luck & let us know how your doing!

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:55:01 AM »
.22-5-40, have you found  out what the difference in molds was and what made the old black powder mold more accurate? You are right about the gas checks and it would be good to eliminate them. What are the velocities that you are pushing them? And thanks for the help!

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
I got a Hornet barrel for my NEF Handi-Rifle to use for squirrel hunting.  I have been using a load of 3.5 grains of UNIQUE and small pistol primers (everyone on this board recommended this) behind commercial Beartooth 45 gr. gas-checked round nose lead bullets.  This load is very accurate at 50-yds. and, at least so far, does not tear up the squirrels when I have to make other than a head shot.  I have not been able to chronograph it but, according to everything I have read, velocities should be pretty on par with high-speed .22 LRs.

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
Hello, greenrivers.  The old Ideal has multiple narrow grooves & bands.  Now I know some say you can't drive this style fast, another thing is they are heavy for caliber..the Leeth copy comes out around 58grs.