Author Topic: Golf Ball vs. Billiard Ball Mortar  (Read 1186 times)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Golf Ball vs. Billiard Ball Mortar
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:49 AM »
I may be missing something but in surfing the web for "projectile" specs on these two puppies, billiard balls are 2.250" with a tolerance of +/- .005".  Golf balls have a minimum size of 1.68" but I can't see that the specs call out an upper limit and tolerance thereunto.  One article said most mfgrs. make them to the minimum size because larger catches more air and won't go as far.  Am I missing something about the upper limit on a GB size?   And has anyone shooting a GB mortar found their windage wasn't enough for some balls?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Golf Ball vs. Billiard Ball Mortar
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
So far all the balls I have fit there is just enough windage where
they are not rolling around loose in the bottom of the chamber...
I need to order some iron balls for it though.

Billiard balls..... I had a nice bronze mortar that fired those and
I did not run into a problem of more than one size ball..... other
than the "Q" ball......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
So far no issues with GB sizing, pool balls are another matter though.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
I tend to trust specifications but then not every mfgr. makes that grade and there's more and more of this stuff coming from places still learning what a spec and tolerance is.  If the billiard balls are indeed to tolerance I can cut the windage way down and use less powder and make less air polution  :)  I found a place on the web that sells bb seconds for $10 a set but at 6 oz. a ball the shipping gets steep fast.

HOW ABOUT FOR THE BOARD WE ESTABLISH THIS:  A BB mortar is a bowling ball mortar and a bb mortar is a billiard ball mortar?  ...that way folks won't have to write it out for others to know what they are talking about...??  Maybe you already did.  ???

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:05:41 PM »
HOW ABOUT FOR THE BOARD WE ESTABLISH THIS:  A BB mortar is a bowling ball mortar and a bb mortar is a billiard ball mortar?  ...that way folks won't have to write it out for others to know what they are talking about...??  Maybe you already did.  ???

What about BB mortars that shoot .177 bb's?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
pool ball?

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »
So for this series we have BB, PB and bb?  Sounds good to me but where do we keep our acronymn guide for the board so a newby can know what folks are talking about?.

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »
I have weighted and measured the diameter of gulf balls for firing tests for 3 years (approximately 500 balls).  Both the diameter and weight are very consistent.  Golfers are very particular - which leads to consistency from the manufacture.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Co. Batguano

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
Do you find any variation based on compression?  90's are the most popular, but there are 100's and 80's out there too.

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
Do you find any variation based on compression?  90's are the most popular, but there are 100's and 80's out there too.

I buy the cheapest golf balls I can find.  I do not know what compression they are.  The bags are a mixture of brands - which may imply a mixture of different compressions.
For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. (Thomas Jefferson)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
I buy the cheapest golf balls I can find.  I do not know what compression they are.  The bags are a mixture of brands - which may imply a mixture of different compressions.

I bought a few bags from a ravengolfball.com outfit (same outfit Parrot-Cannon?) on the web for a sling meet we held out here a few years ago.  Got a couple 5 gallon buckets figured I'd give to Double D on his way by this summer.  :)
Is it possible to have too many "projectiles"?  ::)  nah!!

I really think the biggest reason I want to go with a PB mortar is with 6 oz. of weight versus a maximum of 1.62 oz. for a golf ball just think of how much more pressure I can build up under that mass and truly get "more bang for my buck"  ;D

Offline Parrott-Cannon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »

I bought a few bags from a ravengolfball.com outfit (same outfit Parrot-Cannon?) on the web for a sling meet we held out here a few years ago.  Got a couple 5 gallon buckets figured I'd give to Double D on his way by this summer.  :)
Is it possible to have too many "projectiles"?  ::)  nah!!

I really think the biggest reason I want to go with a PB mortar is with 6 oz. of weight versus a maximum of 1.62 oz. for a golf ball just think of how much more pressure I can build up under that mass and truly get "more bang for my buck"  ;D

I by my golf balls from wal-mart.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
How about we call a bowling ball a bowling ball, a pool ball a pool ball, and golf ball a golf ball.  That we every one understand what everyone is talking about.

We have some of the official dimensions listed in the reference section including standard windage calls.  I suggest if you decide to reduce windage you also include in your kit proper ball extracting equipment.  Sooner or later you will need it.  And off coures with a decrease in windage comes and increase n pressure...

Right now you can use just golf balls or you order some steel golf balls listed in group buy in the classifieds.

Hopefully in a few weeks we may have some zinc golf balls available also. 

At the  Montana cannon shot we will have hole in hole in one contest for golf ball mortars.  Starting pot is $50, entry is $5 for five balls...first hole in one splits the pot with the club.  The hole will be a par 3.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »
Just received notification 60 pounds of billiard ball seconds are on their way (160 balls) so I will start making metal chips tomorrow on the .45 scale Coehorn.  I guess I'm supposed to photo-doc for the board.  Getting that notice just really tickled me kinda like when I got 40 new, undrilled bowling balls from my powder man for $.50 apiece.  Can't have too much/many projectiles...  ;D   ;D

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
That is cool and of course you have to take pictures as you build...

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 08:51:38 AM »
How about we call a bowling ball a bowling ball, a pool ball a pool ball, and golf ball a golf ball.  That we every one understand what everyone is talking about.

Can't forget these little guys. Are they still BB mortars? or .177 BB Mortars...or .177 bb Mortars?

Michael

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
They are BB's. That's why Bowling balls are bowling balls.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
Now here I thought .177 was a pellet not a bb yet Rick fires pellets that are 2.25" so lets add pellets into the confusion  :o  ;D

so when is a pellet not a pellet?  :o
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
Good technical writing ensures that the FIRST use of any abbreviation is explained.

For example:  I will be making a BB (bowling ball) mortar. 

Then subsequent references simply use the abbreviation.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
In my field of writing the full name is used first then the abbreviation is place in parentheses following ....Cut Bank Cannon Convention II (CBCCII)  and then CBCCII can be used.

Remember,  I used work for the Government and we know how to make meaningless acronyms and useless abbreviations. We even had a form manual to tell us how to do it.