Author Topic: Lightning strike  (Read 646 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Lightning strike
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:16 AM »
A few years back I read in one of the gun rags, an article about keeping the primers down or boxes closed on the firing bench.
According to the article the shooter was shooting a Semi-auto pistol, one of the spent casings landed on a live primer in the box and detonated several live rounds in the box.
I could see were if everything came together in the perfect storm it could be possible. But has anyone had a real life experience of this happening.
I reload all my own ammo, and have since started putting them primer down in the boxes.
But I have yet to see factory ammo shipped primers down.
You would think if this were a real problem. Manufacturers would change the packaging, or at least put a warning on new boxes to keep them closed.
It just seems to me you would have the same odds of this happening as getting hit with lightning. But then I don’t stand in a field in a thunderstorm either.

Offline Bill,SC

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lightning strike
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:39:13 AM »
You are saying that a spent/empty case hit a primer dead center with enough force/weight to detonate the primer?  And the primer was seated in loaded case?  In a box with other loaded ammo?  Just not very likely.  Sounds like a job for myth busters!
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe, Hunter Education

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:29:57 AM »
I am not sure which gun rag it was in, I would bet it was Guns & Ammo. It was a couple years back and they had pictures to go along with the article. I too believe it would be pretty hard to recreate. I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything like this in the real world.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:30:41 AM »
No never heard of such but anything can happen maybe. I don't place primers down though. With some powders it can clog the flash hole . I like boxes that grip the case not letting the bullet nose touch.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »
I just looked at my boxes. They're all stacked bullet up, but I do this to protect the tips.

I do remember seeing pictures and reading an article about it somewhere, though. It's not a common thing to happen, but I suppose it's possible. No need to tempt fate....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
I remember the article. I wouldn't change the way I do things because of it. I'd say your odds of winning the lottery are greater than an empty case striking a loaded round with enough force and in the right position to detonate it.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »
I didn't see the article but with my sons semi auto .223 they come out so hard I don't doubt it could happen under the perfect conditions.  thejanitor

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »
maybe the belief is the heat set it off ?

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »
http://splodetv.com/weird-stuff-happens-0

I found this.....

Ain't saying it's true. Who knows?
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:25:38 AM »
Thanks Tom for the link, It must have been Guns & Ammo with it being by Patrick Sweeney , that was the same article and picture I saw.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
I think ammo factories have blown up before.

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Don't believe it for a second, no way an empty case hit that live round with the amount of force shown in those pics without some external influences, like a block of wood and a hammer. No doubt somebody set the round off with the other, just not the way as described.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:06 AM »
Anything can happen , some ain't so good. I don't leave any primers open on my bench . Don't have any containes of powder open unless placing it in powder dump or trickler. Trickler is on a shelf above bench as is scales so things won't drop on them. Only have powder container you are using on the bench . any good reloading manual has common sense safety rules .