Author Topic: things are sure changing with copper bullets  (Read 420 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
things are sure changing with copper bullets
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »
I used to be the first to bash barnes bullets but ive sure had luck with the new ones. Been loading for 4 new guns this year. A #1a 257 roberts a 300 wby vanguard. A used bdl 7 mag i picked up and a 264 mag. I like to get 5 guns ready for crop damage shooting so i also broke out my old very accurate #1b 2506. Out of all five of these guns copper bullets shoot best in all but the 264 and its back to ruger because nothing shot in it. The 257 liked 100 grain tipped x bullets the 300 wby liked 180tipped x bullets the 2506 which is allready very accurate shot the best groups its ever shot with 80 grain x bullets. Well under a 1/2 for 5 shots at a 100 yards. the 7 mag did its best with nosler etip 140s which is noslers attempt at a solid copper bullet.  I still remember the day when i couldnt get x bullets to shoot 3 inch. Loading for these guns i didnt favor copper bullets. I used at least 5 differnt bullets and in most cases twice that and tried at least two differnt primers and 3 differnt powders. I know ive even squared off with greybeard on my dislike for these bullets but im sure eating crow now. Used to be i had to be pretty desperate to get a gun to shoot to even try them and its getting to the point where there going to be about the first bullet i try when working up a load for a new gun.
blue lives matter

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Re: things are sure changing with copper bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:37:44 AM »
   I have had the same experience, I tried the original X bullets in 6 MM and 30 cal. and they didn't group well and showed pressure signs before I got near max loads.
In the past few years have killed game with the 270, 7 MM, & 30 cal. TTX bullets and a antelope with a .357 XPB bullet and have had nothing short of perfect game dropping performance and they shoot like match bullets now.        Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
These Premium bullets. Nosler PTs. Barnes etc. run about 1 dollar a piece here without tax or shipping. So far the cup and core works well for me. If they get that expensive I'll use cast.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
Lloyd... Sounds like you and I walked the same path with the Copper bullets.

I bought the early slugs and enjoyed the 2 1/2 inch groups out of my best shooting 7 mag.  Last fall I checked the sights on my current 7 mag shooting 160 Barnes and two different powders trying to find what load I was gonna settle on.  Tough decision, both gave me 1 inch groups at 200 yards.  Thats about as good as it gets for me shooting sporter rifles.

Silvertp