Author Topic: The (Mis) adventures of a tennis ball Mortar  (Read 1092 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
The (Mis) adventures of a tennis ball Mortar
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:02:57 PM »
With great risk to my self and the neighbors I finally got up the nerve to test fire my Tennis ball Mortar.  As you probably have read, most predicted (very nearly correct) that I would probably maim my self as well as likely kill my grandchildren with it.  For those of you who have not read the original post, this is made from a Medical oxygen tank with a powder chamber meeting the standards listed in the Safe construction and loading sticky.  The powder chamber has a volume of about .257 Cubic inch.  I bedded all the joints and threads with JB weld.  Being that the first shot would be the proof load, I loaded the powder chamber to the top plus a little, then dropped the tennis ball down to cover it all up.  Then (just to make sure) I put another tennis ball on top of the first one, an overflowing powder charge and double projectile load!  For a blast shield, I used two steel belted radial tires stacked on top of each other with the Mortar in the middle pointing straight up, I didn’t want to drop the balls on neighbors three blocks away, lucky it is close to the 4th Of July, so big bangs are mostly ignored around here.  I cut an extra 6 inches of fuse so I could get to the Basement before the thing fired, I did set up a mirror so I could look at the event from a casement window while protected from any direct shrapnel path in the event of a total failure.  Pictures below:

Well, I lit the fuse and ran really fast after first leaving a note telling my wife I loved her and hoped this would work out well but was sorry if I my math was a little off and I destroyed the south half of the house, but confidence was high!  I watched carefully as the fuse burned close to the housing, it seemed to take forever for it to get to the powder chamber, I then started hoping that the gas meter reader would not choose this time to read the meter which was just around the corner of the house.  I was in luck; no one opened the gate before the fuse entered the body of the powder chamber.  It just hung there for a second, and then it happened!  A tiny spurt of flame from the fuse hole, then a big puff of white smoke from the Mortar mouth, the two Tennis Balls rose nearly 9 feet, yes! Nine feet in the air, I was amazed, the house was still in one piece and I had all my fingers and both eyes! 

The moral of the story is this:  The design just doesn’t work, you can throw a tennis ball further than you can shoot one with this machine, and the noise it makes is not quite as loud as closing a bathroom door. 

Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: The (Mis) adventures of a tennis ball Mortar
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
The tennis ball looks like kind of a loose fit in that tube.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
I think my next step is to buy a bunch of different brands of Tennis balls to find a brand and model that is a better fit to the tube, tennis ball specs allow for up to 1/8 inch of diameter difference and still be called a tennis ball!   ;)

Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline keith44

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
from the dimentions listed in the first post about this, a "proof load" according to my 1887 proof load lists would be 120 grains of powder and a projectile weighing 122 grains.  This would "proof" the device for a service load of 27 grains of BP, with a projectile weighing 3/8 oz.

Just sayin'

Keith
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:52:08 PM »
I think my next step is to buy a bunch of different brands of Tennis balls to find a brand and model that is a better fit to the tube, tennis ball specs allow for up to 1/8 inch of diameter difference and still be called a tennis ball!   ;)

Larry

It's a shame that tennis balls aren't inflatable, because then you could just pump 'em up a bit to get a nice tight fit. :) ;D :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:48:53 AM »
Did you use pyrodex or REAL black powder.  The immitation stuff won't build enough pressure.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »
That does sound suspiciously like my 1st shot in the Dictator with Pyrodex- large cloud, soft "poof", and a golf ball that went 3 feet. Loud laughter in the background from Carol. Try some real black powder.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 03:16:58 AM »
I am a bit perplexed.

What pre 1899 mortar are you replicating?

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
its a handgrenade launcher for a flintlock rifle , he just forgot the rifle  :D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 02:07:13 AM »
Larry -
  I like the finished product from several aspects - workmanship is excellent.  I hope you take my (our) reservations about safety seriously.  [I have seen a cannon explode from about 15' away.]

Aluminum is not ductile.  So regardless of the PSI's involved, the repeated hammerings WILL cause it to crack.  Cracks grow over time.  WHEN it lets go, it does so all at once.

That is the reason folks here avoid aluminum and other materials that are not as ductile as "mild steel" like 1018 or specific steels that are right-much tougher as 4140 and a FEW others.

We will give you advice that we know from experience has served others well - that is why our recommendations are closely aligned with AAA and N-SSA recommendations for construction.  By keeping that (rigid) recommendation of material, design, construction and use, we know that you will be as safe possible.

You need to know when you light the fuse whether it's a cannon or a bomb.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
Larry -

What powder did you use.  (Brand, granulation)

You will find that you won't get much pressure build up from the imitation black powders.  Real black powder will give you good pressure levels and imensly greater ranges.  Finer granulations will give you much higher pressure peaks but not much increase in range.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired