Author Topic: Best 44 spl factory ammo?  (Read 615 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Best 44 spl factory ammo?
« on: December 18, 2003, 03:42:25 AM »
I have shot my favorite caliber .44 spl forever, but always with handloads.  I just discovered that my old charters like jacketed bullets even better than my flat nose cast bullets.  And since everyone advises against handloads for defense for legal reasons, I'm wondering what has been developed in the way of good defensive factory loads the last few years.  What do you recomend?   44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 08:17:09 AM »
Thanks, I had heard that CCI had a good one out, but didn't know the particulars.  I picked up a nice 3" bulldog (my 4th Charter).  Since the front sight had been filed down a little, I tried loading some 200gr XTP's.  Found out, to my surprise, that both my Charter 44s shot much better with jacketed bullets.  The gun is at Mag-na-port now and Ken is replacing the front sight for me plus (?).  Ken always asks me what I want done and my standard reply is "Whatever you think".  Sometimes I have a real surprise when my guns come back from him as he enjoys showing off.  (They have always been pleasant surprises)  I really like carrying this 3" and want to find a factory load for it.  (I know, I'll probably have to file this new sight back down a little)  Thanks much.    44 Man

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
44 sp
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 04:06:16 PM »
44 man
 I don't buy into that reload liability bs, no one has produced any legal history of reloads making the party guilty of any thing. Self defense is just that, what if you were to toss them a molatov, or 1/4 dynamite with a short fuse, or god forbide your ex mother in law.
I carry a 44 sp 2" that replaced a 2" 38 sp. Just thought I needed more power. I have factory loaded win 200 grn hp silver tips. My reloads will be 240 gn fp hard cast at near max of 2400 or 231.
Jim

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 07:39:10 AM »
Jim, my heavy handload is 240 flat point over 8.0 gr Unique (Max!)(950 fps from the 4 3/4" bbl of my SAA).  For a fun load/woods walking load, I do 6.9 gr Unique with the same bullet (750 fps) and it shoots within an inch of the first load in the same gun.  These two loads have replaced the 245 gr swc over 7.3 (850 fps) I used to use for everything.  I've not been pleased with 2400 in the special even with a very heavy crimp although I use it for many other calibers.  My Charters just love the 200gr XTP over 8.0 gr Unique but I haven't checked the velocity from either of those guns yet.  Glad you like your 44.  I'm carring the .38 snub again while waiting for the Charter to come back from Mag-na-port, and I feel naked.   44 Man