Author Topic: loading 45 long colt "blanks"  (Read 1830 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
loading 45 long colt "blanks"
« on: June 01, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »
Do any of you make a blank that could be used for practice for the mounted cowboy shooting of balloons in the arena? I know they can not use the reloads in competition but just wanted to know if I could load up some kind of blank that would work about the same as the ones they buy at the competition, but just for practice.
I DO NOT HAVE A WAY TO CRIMP THE END so will have to use some other way. unless there is a crimp die I can buy. I do know the blanks are loaded with black powder and no projectile. This type reloading (blanks) is very new to me and I am just checking into it for a friend who just started the shooting part of riding competition.
I did see there are two types of brass available one with a larger primer pocket, but I wasn't sure if the case was longer then also to allow for the crimp.... So please share any info you may have for a newbie. Either pms or links to better explain are fine if you wish. Thanks  thejanitor

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: loading 45 long colt "blanks"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:13 AM »
a case full of 2F black with a large pistol primer, use a beeswax plug pressed from a thin sheet to hold it in the case.  I suggest real black so that there is enough unburned solids pushed out of the barrel to pop the balloon.  (That's how my father-in-law did it in the 60's)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
I don't load blanks but have about 500 cases marked " blank " . They have a flash hole that is much larger than a normal case. If you laod them in reg cases you may want to enlarge the flash hole.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
Use any wax handy, old candles, parafin, beeswax, etc.. and melt it in a small cookie sheet where its about a 1/2 inch deep and let it cool.  Take the brass that you've already prepared by enlarging the flashholes and seating magnum primers and use it like a cookie cutter leaving the wax in the brass like a bullet.  Just be aware at close range that little piece of wax comes outta there fast enough to cause a injury.
Dave

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 02:53:29 AM »
We load em for CMSA practice at the house, and this how we do it. 45 Colt case with the primer hole drilled out, Winchester standard large pistol primer, however much course "cannon" black powder you want to use, depending if its a new horse to the sport, we start with mild loads, then work up to a full case, held together with a flat over shot wad intended for 410 guage shot shells, pressed down firmly on the powder. We found that if we didnt open up the flash hole, the primers back out and locked up the gun. We use the coarsest black powder we can find, marked cannon powder, 1F I think.By using the wads the brass is reloadable, and that saves you a lot of money.Weve tried a lot of different techniques, and this one worked the best by far for us. PM me if I can be of any help. Where are yall shootin at anyway?

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 04:14:09 AM »
The gal who will be using them rides competition all over the nation, but she is new to the shooting part and wants to have some for practice like you do. Most of her weekend rides are in MN. Thanks for the info.  thejanitor

Offline rbuck

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
Just remember, after the primer holes have been enlarged, do not reload with bullets in these modified cases as they will probably blow primers.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:55 AM »
I have been loading cases marked blank and so far no blown primers. I load lead bullets at a moderate powder charge. The flash hole is quite large .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !