Author Topic: Safe habor definition of "occasional purchases, exchange or sales of firearms. ?  (Read 618 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Dear Folks,

I seem to recall that about 8 years ago, there was an ongoing debate or issue about amending the 68 Act, or the BAFT Regs, to add a safe-harbor definition of what is meant by "occasional purchases, exchanges and sales of firearms", for purposes of exclusion from the dealer definition.  I also seem to recall that the  amendment created a specific number of transactions per month (or year), that would treated as meeting the definition of occassional.

Did such an amendment ever get enacted?  Was I dreaming?

Thanks

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
I don't think ATF ever did that. However, Connecticut allows a private citizen to transfer out of one's possession  a maximum of 10 handguns per year before being considered a dealer, with all the licensing requirements thereof.  Handguns are registered here, and sales/transfers must be approved, CCW to CCW, or CCW to dealer, [also dealer to CCW], by the CT State Firearms division. 
The ONLY way to purchase/transfer a handgun in CT is with a concealed carry pistol and revolver permit.  That is the only handgun permit offered.
Long guns, so far, are not registered, and so, don't apply here.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Pat/Rick

• Trade Count: (0)
If it doesn't happen every day, I would say it's occasional. If an old guy decides to get rid of a collection is he a dealer?  The atf is an unconstitutional agency. Any court actions based on their "arrests", should be voted by jurors as not guilty. Take America and our Constitution back! Use the jury box before we have to use the bullet box.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
kinda off topic, but what would it really take to have a revolution?  it seems to me that our government is getting more repressive than old king george.  don't the "ins" realize that it could happen again?  just wondering.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye