Author Topic: French Mountain Howitzer-what is cloverleaf mark?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: French Mountain Howitzer-what is cloverleaf mark?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 01:13:24 PM »
there is a cannon on this thread with the same style of letter
and it is being called a "C" (mistakenly?) in the discription.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,184425.0.html
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
I've just updated the other thread with the fact that the script letter is definitely a "T" and how I found that out.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »
I talked to some folks in France via discussion boards.  They are certain the letters "T" and "M" on two French pieces are initials of the head founders at the times the pieces were cast.  They also told me it will impossible to find the names that go with the initials.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 05:54:37 AM »
Rec'd today from Invalides, here is a mechanicel Google translation, then I'll paste in the original French email below:

---------------------

French - detected to English translation
Dear Sir,

The letter engraved between the journals is not a C, but a T. A priori, it would be the initial depth of the room. However, the engraving of this piece is not compulsory for non-regulatory.

Regarding the history of this piece, it is very difficult to tell you more. It is quite possible that the howitzer have been sent to Mexico and qu'Albee have recovered or purchased later, but this is a hypothesis ... The records do not mention the movement of howitzers, but eventually artillery batteries or regiments. By cons it is possible that accounts of embarkation for the Mexican expedition exist, and that the guns shipped to be appointed by their names. In this case find a trace of Rapp can not be excluded.

Thank you for sending your photos.

Sincerely,

Christophe Pommier

Artillery Department

01 44 42 32 04

---------------------------------

Cher Monsieur,

La lettre gravée entre les tourillons n’est pas un C, mais un T. A priori, il s’agirait de l’initiale du fondeur de la pièce. Cependant, la gravure de cette pièce n’étant pas obligatoire car non réglementaire.

En ce qui concerne l’histoire de cette pièce, il est très difficile de vous en dire plus. Il est fort possible que cet obusier ai été envoyé au Mexique et qu’Albee l’ai récupéré ou acheté par la suite, mais ce n’est qu’une hypothèse… Les archives ne mentionnent pas les déplacements d’obusiers, mais éventuellement de batteries d’artillerie ou de régiments. Par contre il est possible que des comptes d’embarquement  en vue de l’expédition du Mexique existent, et que les pièces d’artillerie embarquées y soient nommées par leur noms. Dans ce cas trouver une trace du Rapp n’est pas à exclure.

Nous vous remercions de l’envoi de vos photos.

Bien cordialement,

Christophe Pommier

Département Artillerie

01 44 42 32 04

--

Musée de l’Armée

Hôtel national des Invalides

129 rue de Grenelle

75700 PARIS SP 07

www.invalides.org