Author Topic: Plated vs. Jacketed Pistol Bullets?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline dovehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Plated vs. Jacketed Pistol Bullets?
« on: June 09, 2011, 04:06:05 AM »
What is the difference, functionally that is, between plated bullets like the Raniers and Berrys vs. jacketed bullets?  Both Ranier and Berry say to use lead bullet loading data when loading them.  Also, if you are using plated bullets and don't have an exact lead bullet load for the bullet weight you want to use, can you use jacketed bullet load data for that bullet weight and maybe drop back some on charge weights?  I am thinking about trying some of the plated bullets and was wondering if there were any particular precautions to take or unique loading practices I need to follow.  I have loaded beaucoup jacketed and regular lead pistol bullets over the years but no plated bullets up to this point. I'd welcome any recommendations you can offer regarding the use of plated pistol bullets. Thanks!

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
Re: Plated vs. Jacketed Pistol Bullets?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:32:33 AM »
Both Ranier and Berry say to use lead bullet loading data when loading them. 

Really? This from Berry's website. Most info you need to load can be found there.......
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:05:13 AM »
 For the most part plated bullets are my 'go-to' type when it comes to bought bullets for most shooting. I usually load them from lead data range to the low jacketed range. One of the manufacturer's sites says to keep them under 1200 fps. We get hung up on the best bullet for defense against whatever, man or beast, when 99% of our shooting may be at neither. If & when the time comes a plated bullet will most likely do the job(a few special cases). I just load them up & may sure they cycle well & have at it.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
Rule of thumb that has worked for me for many years now is limit the velocity at 1200'ps max. That pretty much means that a 45ACP, 9mm, 40SW can be loaded at the top of most books using jacketed data. When it comes to the magnum rounds, limit velocity at 1200'ps and you'll be fine.
FWIW, Midway had the Rainier Loading Manual available as a download years back. In it, they show quite a few loads at 1800'ps in the 357 mag and others using the lighter bullets. I assume that bullet terminal performance was low considering the soft lead core. I've loaded some of the 45-70 bullets at 1800'ps and had no issues. I would think the Berrys would be close to the same.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
I have tried loading them to jacketed bullet velocities and they do not work well there, but at cast velocities they do great.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
I use jacketed data, but stay at least 10% below max charge and below 1,300 fps.
I've had great luck with plated bullets in .38 Super to 1,250 fps, .357 mag mid range loads, 9mm, 10mm, .45 Colt and .45acp.

If you shoot auto's, Berry's has some new bullets with thicker plating and hollow bases. The hollow bases aren't as deep as a .38 HBWC, but are said to allow the bases to expand and fill the bore at lower pressures.

Plated .357" DEWC's shoot exceptionally well in my Handi rifle and F/A revolver out to 50 yards. In a 9mm Glock the best I've gotten is about 3-1/2" at 25 yards, but I'm hoping the new hollow base bullets will help there.

In .45acp the 200 grain plated SWC's are excellent in Sigs and HKs.

Offline noylj

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
Right now, there is NO reason to buy plated bullets.
Buy real jacketed bullets from Montana Gold by the case. You can also check Precision Delta and Zero Bullets (see Roze Distribution and Powder Valley).
If you want to save money, buy lead. If you want the best, buy jacketed. If you want to spend as much as for jacketed and get an inferior bullet, get a plated bullet.
First, let's look at .45 Auto 230gn RN bullet (which is an expensive bullet and one that I never shoot):
Montana Gold: 230gn FMJ--$177/1000 or $303/2000 (15 cents a bullet)
Precision Delta: 230gn FMJ--$119/1000 (12 cent a bullet)
Zero Bullets: 230gn FMJ--$125/1000 or $120.25/1000 if 2000 or more ordered (12 cents a bullet)
Berry's Bullets: 230gn RN plated--$141.76/1000 (14 cents a bullet)
Rainier LeadSafe Bullets: 230gn RN plated--$142.99/1000 (14 cents a bullet)
Missouri Bullets: 230gn L-RN--$43/500 (9 cents a bullet)
MasterCast: 230gn L-RN--$64.07/1000 (6 cents a bullet)

Now, why buy plated bullets?

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:31 PM »
Because they're more accurate than Joe's discount jacketed bullets.
Because jacketed .45 SWC's are really expensive.
Because some of us don't want to use lead in Glocks an HK's.
Because they obturate at lower pressures than jacketed bullets do in light loads.
Because I don't like cleaning lead out of my .357.
Because swaged bullets (plated or plain lead) have always shot better for me than cast.

I don't consider them inferior at all, quite the opposite.
Only in 9mm do I get better accuracy with jacketed, I use the Hornady HAP there. They're only slightly more expensive than plated and are match accurate.

If you want to save very penny you can and blast away at 5 yards, hey, go for it. I'm not a high volume shooter short range shooter, so I go for quality and accuracy.

Offline noylj

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Hammerhead:
Keep beating your head against the wall to justify plated...
Isn't is amazing that Bullseye shooters have been shooting at 50 yards with cast bullets for decades and not leading up their barrels and not moving to plated bullets or jacketed as the cast is just as accurate and they can control dimensions as needed.
Who needs obduration with a properly fitted bullet, particularly a jacketed bullet.
Look at any pistol or rifle sport and you will find either jacketed or cast lead bullets at the forefront.
I don't care if you happen to "like" plated bullets. I was simply pointing out that there are "better" alternatives if you want improved accuracy for the same money or as good or better accuracy for less money.
The only swaged bullet I have found that is better than cast is the 148gn L-HBWC for .38 Special target shooting. The worst bullet I have ever tried was a plated DEWC--a 6" group at 25 yards was doing good. I did much better with properly sized cast bullets. Best wadcutter I have found is the Remington L-HBWC. It is very inexpensive and VERY accurate. Anyone who wants a wadcutter should buy them from MidwayUSA in bulk.
If you want to spend as much on swaged bullets as you do on plated/jacketed, then look to Precision Delta. Extremely accurate.
Finally, I do not see any of the three companies I mentioned as being "Joe's discount jacketed bullets." Consider match results in any action pistol sport and you will find all three being fired with Montana Gold probably leading the pack.
Keep telling yourself that plated is better and have fun.
We all have to find what satisfies us, and I find it with lead (cast or swaged) and jacketed. Plated? No joy.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
Keep telling yourself that plated is better and have fun.

Thank you, I will.

I know you're not the only one who doesn't like them, but for me, they work.