Author Topic: Small Home Made Cannon Questions.  (Read 535 times)

Offline _TZ_

• Trade Count: (0)
Small Home Made Cannon Questions.
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
Hello. First time visiting this site. I was hoping someone could tell me something about a small home made cannon I have.  The cannon itself measures 13 inches long. The base is made of old metal pieces and it looks like an old weld. I was wondering if the cannon itself has some age to it too. Also, would it have been able to fire? Or could it still fire? The carriage does not hold the cannon properly, as it just slides in and out of the hole, so I take it it was unfinished, or just purely for decoration. Thanks for reading.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Small Home Made Cannon Questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
Your cannon shows some ingenuity, but I don't think I would shoot it.  First the barrel is not safely secured.  Second do you know what material the barrel is made from. 

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »
TZ this is one time when I wish I could find a good way to argue with DD.  The barrel looks sound, but is of unknown age, and unknown material.  Also the history is unknown.  Even if the exact alloy could be determined, the history is still not known.  There could be micro fractures in the barrel just waiting to rupture, and spit pieces of barrel into any near by persons.

It is a nice looking bit of ingenuity, but I must also recommend it not be fired.  Sorry. 

Well made and fully servicable cannons are available from the sponsors of this board, and other outlets.  Perhaps you could have one that is safe to shoot for next year.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, TZ!  ;D  You will enjoy this site, lots of great info and lots of brains to pick!Check out our sponsors page, and read some of the back posts to get a good flavor of the site. And don't worry, altho the bug will bite you, it isn't going to hurt much, only your pocketbook, as you get further into this "playground"! We always stress safety first, so ask questions, and observe what others are putting up, and have fun! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline _TZ_

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
A magnet sticks to the cannon, but it looks like it has green corrosion on the inside. It's understandable since little is known or will ever be known about it, it's not safe for use. It still makes a great display piece though.

There is indeed a lot of great information here and some entertaining threads. Thank you all for the kind replies.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
That's a decorator , we've all had something like that ........ But just put it on a shelf and get a small servicable cannon from a sponser .

It's not a good feeling to wonder what is going to happen as the fuse burns into the vent 'right much soon' ;D

It's a great piece to look at and wonder about .

How did you come by it ?

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »

WELCOME to the board!

Might be OK shooting firecrackers.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline _TZ_

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
It was a flea market find. No chance to ever really find out anything about its history sadly. Thanks again everyone.

Offline keith44

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
I just looked at the pic's again on my iphone, and zoomed in on the muzzle and bore.  She's had a hard life, and has been mis-used and neglected.  Clean her up, give her a good paint job and set her on a shelf.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA