Author Topic: The Rhinoceros: or, how I 'fixed' my front sight and where to get a real one!  (Read 868 times)

Offline cpileri

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Yesterday, I knew I needed to rais my front sight on my 45LC/410 (shooting 450 Mongo, see: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,223383.msg1099250487.html#msg1099250487   )  so I brought some JB Weld and raised it until it shot to POA.

Now, it is just over 1/2 inch high.  It looks like a rhino horn.  its even the correct grey color! 

Does anyone make a handi-rfile front sight that is ~0.55 inches high?
I should mention that this height works with  the sight picture of: the front sight just barely visible at the bottom of the NDS rear peep sight aperture.  So if I was going to make it my usual "tip of front sight in middle of the aperture circle" sight picture, i would need one even taller.  I'd even take on that was WAAAAYY tall, and file it myself.

or perhaps a clamp on front sight hood that can protect my JB Welded nightmare?

Or, any other ideas?  (no I cant lower the rear sight anymore).

Thanks!
C-
and that without them
we should have no knowledge of it at all."
~ Martin Luther

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Depends on what kind of sight you want.  Lyman makes an aperture that is .860 if I recall correctly.

You could also install a ramp and then put on a front sight.  Since I don't care for the Lymans I would go with a ramp and then the sight I liked and probably make it about .650 or .700 high.  I like to set my rear sight in the middle of it's adjustment range when I pick out a front sight.

Hope this helps.

Cat

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
See the Peep and Firesights link in the FAQs, there's a Williams ramp that should work fine in combo with the insert of your choice, I prefer fiber optics myself with my old eyes. The ramps and inserts come in different heights, so you can customize the sight to any height you need.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cpileri

• Contributor
front sight 3-48 threaded hole; any sights or bases VERY TALL (>.55")?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
I am having no luck fixing "the rhinocerous"(*), and I know the old front sight bead is in a 3-48 (i.e. the small size) hole. 
Are their any 3-48 threaded front sights or front sight bases, that will get me to a minimum of 0.55" above the barrel edge?
Any help appreciated!
I should note that I looked over the FAQ and couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.  I sure might have missed it.  But in any case, thats why the new post.

Happy and Blessed Independence Day!
C-

and that without them
~ Martin Luther

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
I merged this new topic with the old so anyone watching the old one will see the answer.  ;) If you read my Peep and Firesights thread again, you'll see that I used the Williams ramp with the 3-48 screw that came on my 44mag, while not ideal, it worked, you could use Loctite 380 to make the sight more secure and as I stated before, you can achieve any height you need with different combinations of ramps and inserts.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rockshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
I had this same issue with my .45LC BC. I presently use the Lyman 17AUG (.584 height) front sight and really like it. I use the plain post insert but it comes with a bunch of different ones. I use it with a Williams FP receiver sight which I can place in mid-range for a 100-yd zero with a 454190 boolit.
Loren

Offline cpileri

• Contributor
Thanks for the merge,Sir!
I think i have a fix; I like the flexibility that the globe inserts give.  So i have narrowed it down to this pair:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=818605
and
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=857325

Unfortunately, i am beginning to think myself mentally challenged: the Midway description for the mounting base says, " these steel attaching bases either fit a rifle's 3/8" dovetail or use screws to mount to the barrel, "
the Williams pdf catalog does not seem to give me the info as to which screws, exactly, are used to attach the mounnt .  I am hping its 3-48.  I fnot, i suppose i cann drill out the 3-48 hole and tap it to 6-68, or whatever0 and attac it to the barrel.  I dont know why i am stressing out, if my epoxy "rhinocerous" will hold under recoil (though not under impact, nor hot weather); then the screw-made-to-fit-with-loctite-or-epoxy should work, right?

Anyway; thanks fo ryour help!
Happy 4th!
C-
and that without them
~ Martin Luther