Author Topic: my .243 and Monarch ammo from Academy  (Read 1808 times)

Offline DaGris

• Trade Count: (1)
my .243 and Monarch ammo from Academy
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
I dont reload, just always shot Winchester CXP2 100gr soft point with good results. I use that kind of ammo in all of my rifles. Well today I was shooting my Handi Rifle in .243 and ran out of ammo...but I had a box of some Monarch .243 ammo I bought a few years ago from Academy Sports...it was cheaper than the others..100 gr soft point. I shot about 5 times was very surprised!..the groups were great! about 1/2" @ 100 yards....better than the more expensive Winchester ammo. I ended up putting about 10 shots thru it and all were about 1/2" ..I assume that Monarch ammo will perform the same on a deer. Any one else ever use it?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: my .243 and Monarch ammo from Academy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
I have 100 empty Monarch cases.  I've been thinking about reloading them.  Thanks for the info.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »
I don't know that I've ever heard of it, certainly not enough to know that it can shoot like that for cheap.  thanks for passing on the word.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 04:08:14 AM »
I bought a box of Monarch ammo for each of my pistols to use at the range in my .40 caliber Glock, and in my .380 KelTec, and it has proven the most accurate and dependable "CHEAP" ammo I've used and I will continue to buy more when I can get it.

I've heard some folks say it's junk, but I'll tell you what, it sure works for me.

I only use premium ammo for concealed carry, but for the range, it shoots clean, and I don't have a problem using it in my weapons.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline av-doctor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 04:28:12 AM »
never tried monarch but have had good luck with prvi partizan

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:19:25 AM »
i've never used it either but, it must be gud... cuz academy sports can't keep it on tha shelf
roun here !!! several people i know shoot it in there centerfires when they come over to my test range and are very happy with tha results.
them deer won't know it was made by monark ... ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »
Where is that stuff manufactured?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
My box of .380 says made in Serbia.

Believe me when I say Academy isn't going to sell anything that will damage your firearm.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
The accuracy I got from Monarch out of my 223 handi was what motivated me to start reloading.
When I see Monarch at the ranges its usually being shot out of an AR.
Glad it worked for you.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
I have tried it in a 30-06 with fair results.  About as good as most off the shelf ammo.  It is cheap enough to buy for the brass most of the time.  I paid less  than $5.00 per 20 for 223.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline DaGris

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
never tried monarch but have had good luck with prvi partizan
yep..thats what it is

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 03:34:56 AM »
I assume it is an Eastern European former Soviet Bloc manufacturer. Quality control can be iffy but they can sometimes surprise you. Each rifle is unique and one brand of ammo may shoot well in one rifle and not so well in another, no matter what the brand. If you plan to use the Monarch ammo for big game hunting, I would suggest shooting a few control shots into some kind of expansion media like wet newspapers to see how the bullet performs. Unlike a major well known manufacturer such as Remington or Federal, whose products and performance we are all well acquainted with, you are dealing with somewhat of an unknown here. The 243 is one of my favorite deer and hog cartridges but only with the better constructed bullets. Some here will argue it is too light for big game. I am not one of them, but I do believe that a quality well tested bullet is important.