Author Topic: fire cracker carriage  (Read 416 times)

Offline projector

• Trade Count: (0)
fire cracker carriage
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:38 AM »
I can't leave well enough allone.  My order from Brooks USA arrived Friday afternoon, just in time for the holiday weekend.  I wanted to make my own carriage so I only ordered pieces.  Saturday I sort of had a plan and first built the one on the left to get a feel for the scale...it's damn small!  It has 1/4" sides because I had a piece laying arround, and proportioned them to an image in a book.  It came out ok but the low-rider profile wasn't much for launching a fire cracker.  So I revised it and built the second.  The sides are wider to match the bore of the barrell and taller to get a better angle.  Also the base is thiner to help the angle.  So this one is pretty close but I think a 3rd one would dial in the proportions.  I've also requested from Brooks larger diameter wheels (7/8") for the front and larger tunions on the barrell.

They were really fun to shoot, now my wife wants one.

What do you think?

Offline projector

Re: fire cracker carriage
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
Hey, me again.  I just realized the one on the right is the first one with the hinner sides..  thanks

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
Nicely done.  How did you do the trunion "pockets"
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline projector

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
Nicely done.  How did you do the trunion "pockets"

Drill press'd the hole close to the edge and cut off the corners with a band saw.  They are a little rough for the size of the cannon...everything is soooo critical when working on something so small.  I thought about putting a side cutter in the drill press with some fixtures, and pushing the piece into it fore more control.

thanks