Author Topic: Possible .44 Spec. for CCW  (Read 3209 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Possible .44 Spec. for CCW
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
I been thinking of a CA bulldog in 44special for the misses to carry.  Also i'm looking for a really small tee shirt carry for the hot summertime while fishing at night/mornings.  I figure a 44special should get me to the car is danger happens to be near. (animals).
I'm not sure about a mountanlion attack though.  I seen a mountainlion on a guys head and it took either 4 or 5 rifle shots to get it off the guy. I don't really fear anything but a stealthy 180/200lbs of shear power that wants to eat me has me on edge. (mountainlions)  They been spotted all over the northeast now.  I had close encounters with one on two days in a row in VT. Do you think a 44 special will stop it?

Is there a jacketed 44cal mag bullet we can load for the 44 special?  Like a 185gr or 200gr jacketed bullet?

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
There is a tale running around on the web about a guy defending himself against a large bear with evil intent. Weapon used 1911. I have loaded and shot 44 Special loads in FA Model 97 from Keith, Taffin, and Skelton. The 44 Special started out in the ballistic bowling ball camp - 230 to 240 gr slug at 700-800 fps. Truth of the matter is if you want to push a gun weight matters. I have owned three M29 S&W 44 mags that had exactly 12 rounds fired through them. Way too much gun for a lot of people. I believe that 44 Specials and 44 special loads have stuck around because of recoil. I shoot a lot of 44 Special loads with 7.5 Gr of Unique and a 250 Kieth style leadheads. It clocks about 1000 fps and is agreed upon by just about everyone - Kieth, Taffin, Skelton and a million or so posts on the web. If that's not enough for you there's a whole lot more space in the case. I'm not sure about CA or Taurus weapons. But 44s can be loaded with 185s and 200 JHPs. Cor-Bon Buffalo Bore and others make real dynamic loads for a 44 Special if you don't reload. Unmentioned are light weight guns 44 Mountain guns, titanium 16 oz 357, 41 mag, and 44 mags -

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 03:09:30 AM »
It is possible that my next purchase will be a .44---though it will be a .44 mag I will NOT shoot it as a magnum--- and it being an "N" frame will fit the rigs I purchased for this concealed carry purpose. It will be a 4 inch gun.
I like 4 inch guns. The .41 mag (model 57, "N" frame) fits the rigs very well.
I have tried the N frames without a scabbard and find them ill-fitting in this mode.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
I just received my Simply Rugged holsters last week for my Mod 629 S&W and Ruger Security Six. These are the Sourdough Pancake style, and I find them easy to carry CC without any printing.
I will be loading the 629 with BRP cast 255 grain FN  loping along at about 1000 fps!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Tony

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »
I use to have a Charter Arms 44 special about 3 years ago. I Thought it was a nice size for concealed carry, however mine was not reliable. When I would fire the 200 grain CCI Blazer ammo through it the cylinder would never look back up for the next shot. I would always have to turn the cylinder back a little so I could fire my next shot. I got rid of that gun and I purchased a Smith & Wesson 696 nightguard. The difference between the 2 is like night and day. The Smith is so much smoother and more accurate and put together a lot better. Unfortunately if I remember right after talking to a represenative from Smith & Wesson last year the dropped that particular model from production last year, but you can still find them sometimes on the used market. I think it is one best 44 specials ever made and I love the sights on it. My other 44 special is a Rossi model 720 in stainless steel with a 3 inch barrel. It a smooth shooting handgun and is very accurate with the Magtech 240 grain cowboy action load. Currently this is my home defense handgun. Both the Smith and Rossi would make fine CCW handguns. I also have a Simply Rugged  Sourdough Pancake holster for my Smith and I have the Chesty PullerConversion System which allows me to wear it in the center of my chest when I'm riding my Rokon. I think if you by a Smith or Rossi you wont be disappointed.

Tony
Certified Glock Armorer

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 01:23:27 AM »
Here is the real delimma, in my mind.
The issue is not about the round but IT IS about the round. You can find a way to carry anything in any package you desire.
I have a .45, both in a revolver and a semi-auto. I have a .41 magand a .357 mag.
The .44 is the next logical step up--but it is not up--it is actually down. The .44mag is up but I am to old an weak for a .44mag---therefore; why a .44 ANYTHING.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
The issue is not about the round but IT IS about the round. You can find a way to carry anything in any package you desire.
I have a .45, both in a revolver and a semi-auto. I have a .41 magand a .357 mag.
The .44 is the next logical step up--but it is not up--it is actually down. The .44mag is up but I am to old an weak for a .44mag---therefore; why a .44 ANYTHING.
Blessings
Wm,
Always remember, "Variety is the spice of life"!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »
Blessings
I am a huge fan of 44 Special and 44 mag.  But in your case I agree, the 44 does not make sense for you.
44 Special is ballistically the same as 45 colt or 45 ACP and having to have another stash of ammo does not make sense to douplicate what you already have.
On the other side of the coin there are quite a few 44 mag loads that are down loaded like the Winchester 210 grain silver tip, putting it in a hot 41 Mag class.  But even then recoil and muzzle flip are going to be stout and shooting a large bullet at a modest speed of 900 FPS is going to get you multiple hits in short time.

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2011, 07:41:54 AM »
As I have mentioned many times over the years, my favorite and most carried handgun is my S&W model 696 in .44 special.  Only the hottest weather will force me to use something smaller and easier to conceal.

oldhunter

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
I was going to get a Bulldog, but, I came across a 24-3 with a 3" barrel. Didn't let that one get away! Beautiful N frame, Simply Rugged pancake holster, makes nice big holes . . .

I haven't had any mountain lions jump on my head lately, but I'm sure the .44 Special would take care of the situation.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 02:18:33 AM »
It is possible that my next purchase will be a .44---though it will be a .44 mag I will NOT shoot it as a magnum--- and it being an "N" frame will fit the rigs I purchased for this concealed carry purpose. It will be a 4 inch gun.
I like 4 inch guns. The .41 mag (model 57, "N" frame) fits the rigs very well.
I have tried the N frames without a scabbard and find them ill-fitting in this mode.
Blessings

William/guys;  I finally got out to shoot my new S&W model 58 w/4'' barrel in 41mag and i love it.  I'll shoot the new S&W model 57 w/6 1/2'' barrel in 41mag next. My point is my dealer has the 6 1/2'' barreled S&W "N" frame in 44special that was sitting next to my 41mags in the case.  Its also in nickel finish too.  I have three redhawks in 44mag so i really don't need another one for right now but in the future who knows, maybe a few 29's.  But that S&W nickel finish just cranks me up everytime.

Ok i need a 44special in a snubbie and an "N" frame with a 6 1/2'' barrel and don't forget the nickel, yup there on my list now for sure.

I hope the 44special will send the mountainlion to the taxidermist..... ::)  I seen one upclose and personal already and its no puddy-cat its a 180/200lb killin machine.  There seen all over the northeast too now.  I have them at my camp and at my house too. I have to get the misses to put down the 22lr revolver and grab the 357mag or the 41mag or even the 45acp and get practicing soon.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Charter Arms has already come out with their .40 revolver. The 9mm will be next, and next year the .45 ACP. I was thinking about getting the .44 Special, but the .45 would be about the same, and the ammo would be much cheaper. So I think I'll wait. It's the dad-burned price of ammo that keeps me from shooting my 24-3 like I want to.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."