Author Topic: Newly restored "Sherman cannon" to be fired on the fourth  (Read 852 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Newly restored "Sherman cannon" to be fired on the fourth
« on: July 01, 2011, 05:38:17 AM »
This 10-pounder Parrott known as the (William Tecumseh) Sherman cannon to the people of Lancaster, Ohio, is set to be fired on July 4th by the winner of a raffle held to raise money for the upkeep of the newly restored gun. It's always great to see communities taking action to preserve these historic symbols of our heritage.

http://savethecannon.com/save_the_cannon_news.htm

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Newly restored "Sherman cannon" to be fired on the fourth
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
Hope they don't put too much powder in it and point it in a safe direction.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »
I hope they don't put too much powder in it and point it in any direction!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
You probably already know what I think about firing cast iron cannon without proper steel liners installed, so I'm not going to go over the same ground here. This is from the site: "We’re having a new carriage and wheels manufactured to original specifications and will return the gun to blank-firing condition." So you can only hope that they had someone knowledgeable in what to look for thoroughly inspect the bore, and that they're only going to fire light charges.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
It's an original gun.  I'm thinking it will be fine.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
a part of is always saddened by the silence of guns, even the guns of wars long passed.  To me they are to be cared for, and kept up in perfect working order.  Not to be placed back in service, but to be used to honor the fallen.  Who better to "speak" of fallen warriors, and past victories, than their old companions?  No I do not think this piece should have a full power service load fired from its bore, but I hope it is able to speak again.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »

"We have a raffle going for the chance to be the first people to fire the cannon to start the July 4 fireworks and a brick sale going on to help pay for everything. People can find out how to help by going to our website."

"Our July 4th 'Fire the Cannon "winners are" Pam Croft of Sugar Grove, Ohio and Debbie Wagner of Lancaster, Ohio. Pam and Debbie will join the crew of the Sherman Cannon on the 4th of July. They each will get to take the lanyard in hand and fire Lancaster's historic gun."
http://savethecannon.com/stc3.html

Well, I believe the two lucky ladies yanked the lanyard, popped the friction primer, set off the charge, and then walked away with wide grins on their faces; at least I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Offline keith44

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »
I would have liked to have seen pictures of that one.  Oh well, since it wasn't on the news all must have gone well
Life member NRA

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
I found this:

jAnd didn't find anything about a gun blowing up in Lancaster OH.

Maybe in a few days there will be some photos posted on their site.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
Thanks for the neat followup, nice to see folks making an effort for something worthwhile.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »
More on it.  I asked about marking and such on the Youtube page about the gun and got this response:

No muzzle markings. Worn away long ago. It is a 2.9 inch 10-pounder Parrot rifle. marked 1861 on the left trunion and RPP WPF on the right, RPP being Robert P Parrott and WPF being West Point Foundry. It probably saw action and was removed from service like most early Parrotts due to their bursting problems. It was de-milled (rifling removed) and given to the Ben Butterfield G.A.R. post in 1882. Carriage is mostly cast aluminum with a few steel and brass parts. See Steen Cannons.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline keith44

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
Thanks for looking and sharing what you found.  Great slide show of the long road traveled.
Life member NRA

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »
Thanks for looking and sharing what you found.  Great slide show of the long road traveled.

Hey, I get nosey curious about these things.  I figure others do too.  It doesn't take much to share the information.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell