Author Topic: 357 maximum reload info  (Read 513 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
357 maximum reload info
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »
Hello.  I am going to try and load for a H&R 357 max for deer season.   I have tried the hornady 180 grain XTP just at 50 yards with good results.   How do these work in the field and what is a good range for them?   What other bullets have you guys been having luck with?  I am overseas now and dont really have all that much time to experiment when I get back so any bullet, powder and primer info for a starting point would be great.  thanks. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 357 maximum reload info
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
There are hundreds of threads on the 357Max here, but Steve Cutter's site probably has the most comprehensive info in any single article on the  Maxi rifle and hunting, the link is in our FAQs which is the first place you should check for anything H&R related.  ;)   I've also attached Accurate Arms data below.

Tim

http://357maximum.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
The 180XTP is a good bullet, I like the 180 Hornady SSP a bit better, but both work very well.
For powder many work well, I prefer a near max load of AA1680 and a Rem Small Rifle Primer.  I get almost 2200 FPS.

This and MUCH more in the FAQ's!  ::)

If you overseas serving this great nation, I salute you and thank you for your service!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:33:55 PM »
Another here to praise AA1680 for the Maxi.  Extremely easy powder to run through a powder trickler!

Also the Hornady SSP .35 cal 180 grain Hornady spitzer is indeed well thought of, and POPULAR among Maxi reloaders.   ;)