Author Topic: Is it legal in your State?  (Read 1811 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Is it legal in your State?
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »
I picked up a couple self-defense magazines at the NRA convention in Pittsburgh. Reading threw one; I read an article about a young guy and his wife, who after seeing a Deer hit by a Car.

Both decided to obtain carry license / permits to carry a firearm, as well as buying handguns. For protection as well as in the event they came on another injured animal, they would have the means too end the animal suffered.

Here in Pa, only certain people may legally put down an injured animal,hit by cars, Veterinarian, Wildlife Conservation officer, police, and a couple more listed in the Game laws.

In Pa an act of mercy could get you a stiff fine, and loss of your LTCF.
I am not posting this as an ethical question, but a legal one.

Dose your state allow you as a private citizen to put down a severely injured Animal, if done in a safe manor.

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Is it legal in your State?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:54:29 AM »
Not sure here in Utah.  Never thought about it before.  I am not gonna sit by and watch an animal suffer, law or not. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »
Not sure in Va. But it raises another question- can you discharge a weapon where you find the wounded deer ? Here its illegal to discharge a gun in many areas like cities , certian areas of state parks , on or near interstates etc.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:36:17 AM »
Funny how you can get in trouble for the smallest things huh?  Some places you can dispatch them, some you have to call the police and get permission.  Some you can keep a deer or part of it, some you can't.  Do your due diligence and study up on it.

Part of our training for our hunting licenses in Germany stated that as a hunter, if you came upon an animal hit by a car, it was your duty to dispatch it.  You could use a firearm if you had one (but probably not the best thing to do in town) or use a knife to sever it's spine.  But you weren't supposed to cut it's throat since that would be cruel.  They gave us a quick demonstration or training to use a strong knife at the base of the skull and quickly thrust it in and sever the spine.  Many hunters would carry pistol to dispatch wounded game.  It's called the "fangschuss".  The guys I was with all carried something small like a .38 or .380.  Of course you couldn't carry the pistol unless you were going hunting or returning from hunting.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
I never have, but think I would. Humane or suffer? Pretty easy choice IMO. I have seen two county officers put deer down that have been hit.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
i have in years past..

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
Can't fire a weapon within 300' of a public road in GA.  I would first look to see if LEO was close, and if anyone was close by.  I think most of our LEO would overlook it if you didn't endanger anyone.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
I know in FL they are particularly wary of discharging a firearm within 500 ft of a public road or highway.   With as much traffic as we get here even the act of mercy in putting down an injured animal will likely get you arrested.     Also in the Sunshine state it is illegal to put down your own pet.    A few years back my neighbors German shepard got out of their fenced in backyard to chase a stray cat - he ran across the street right when a large station wagon came around the corner.   Unfortunately the GS was hit and then dragged until the car stopped.    The poor dog was very much alert and in excruciating pain as the wheels had rolled over and torn open its abdomen crushing the spine and trailing the insides.   The owner knew that the injury was fatal and retrieved a 22 and ended the animals suffering.      The driver of the car saw him come out with the gun and freaked out and made a second 911 call prompting a quick arrival of the local sherrif's dept.   
     After having to put his dog out of his misery the owner then had to be booked, released and show up to court for unlawful discharge of a weapon, and unlawful killing of a pet.     This incident weighed heavily on my mind and started my distrust of the "Gub'ment".. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
With the huge amount of laws on the books now, most police can find something to charge you with, IF they want to.
I have law enforcement people in my family and they will tell you it depends on which officer shows up, how many citations he has for the month, his attitude, your attitude, and wether he and his spouse argued this morning or not, what judge has jurisdition in that area, how close the end of his shift is, etc.

The Hermit

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
Not in Michigan. If a deer injured by auto, not even a CHL holder may dispatch it. Have to call law enforcement.

Michael

Offline Ron 1

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 03:03:44 AM »
 :o it seems to me that waiting for law enforcement is not the human thing to do as in the past if or when the law is called it takes them an awful long time to get there especially for a non emergency call of this nature.. :-\ the poor dieing animal just lays there and suffers..  :'(    what to do?
i know what i have done and will continue to do! S.S.S.
   rw   
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:34 AM »
NGH  ;D

Do you pack a "Hirschfaenger" with you?? ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
Nope, just a Buck knife...  Maybe if I get a job back there I'll outfit with the full kit and go Bavarian traditional.  That would be cool...

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline PKnTX

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
In Texas the discharge of a firearm on public road/right of way would be the charge
if a LEO was aware and so chose.  By the book we should contact LEO (game warden,
sheriffs office or city) and get instruction from them which I assume usually means
do nothing or wait for them.

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »
Been thinking about this some more. Now I don't think I would shoot. Its illegal to discharge a firearm along the maintained portion of any road here in WA, regardless of surface.  Could be just enough to raise a stink for the gooberment to charge you with a firearms violation. Probably only a misdemeanor, but why chance that. Let 'em lay there and kick and bawl for the bambi lovers to watch maybe?  Sure don't seem the right thing to do. But.....................

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 07:43:55 AM »
Framing hammer works real well. Here in Mn it's Illegal to discharge a firearm on or across a right of Way.

Offline shot1

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »
The law may say that you can't legally shoot the deer but you can run over it again with your vehicle and be perfectly legal.  ;D Here in TN it is legal to pick up road kill, except bear, and take it with you. All you have to do is report it to the local law enforcement. 

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
In NC, if the deer season was in, and you were properly licensed, and if the animal was off the right of way and on private property, and if you have written permission from the landowner, I think you could dispatch the animal.  Then you would have to notch your big game license before moving the deer.

If the deer is killed outright by the vehicle or by law enforcement, I think you can be awarded the deer.  If you hit a bear, you best leave it alone because if may have a chip in it and big brother will come to your door.

Offline vabowhntr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »
Not sure about Va either, but I know what I would do. 

My brother hit a spike square one year at 45 mph going around a curve in front of a house.  Hit the deer and then spun out and took out the mailbox of the guy who lived there.  Got his senses back just in time to see a guy running at him with a pistol drawn.  He said it was a tense second or two as he was not sure what he hit, until the guy identified himself as the local game warden and pointed out the deer.   He shot the deer and asked my father and I if we wanted it when we came to pick my brother up.  After looking at what was left, we decided against it.

Offline mike243

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 02:04:03 AM »
i learned my lession about cutting a deers throat,was coming back from a deer hunt up in telico plains when we came around a corner headed home.somebody had hit a young button buck & broke it down,we stopped & seen that it was not going to recover.my brother poked it in the ribs with a small knife.showing no signs of dying i pulled my schrade deer slayer & cut the throat.the air vented from it along with a pile of blood & painted me  :'( .this was before it was legal to keep road kill.waited awhile  for a law dog to show up in the hopes of keeping it but nobody ever came.
rimfires forever