Author Topic: Martini Cadet in .357 Mag. Any real world experience?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Martini Cadet in .357 Mag. Any real world experience?
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »

Dear Folks,

I've always wanted a single shot rifle in .357 Mag, but just never found one that I liked. 

I've recently heard about the Martini Cadets, that were converted to .357 in the 1960s.  Anybody have any real world experience in owning and shooting these?

Thanks for all comments.

Mannyrock

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Martini Cadet in .357 Mag. Any real world experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
thats what mama got me fro CHRISTmas very nice and accurate gun.

mine was missing a aperture for the rear sight but i've found a replacement
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »
One followed me home not long ago, 24" 1 in 16" barrel, and a lovely flip up Parker-Hale rear sight.  It now wears a
P-H front sight that I had in the cabinet and has been converted to .357 Maximum.  Still working on a load but am getting 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 50yds with A1680 powder and Hornady 180gr bullets.  Goatwhiskers the Elder

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »
thats what mama got me fro Christmas very nice and accurate gun.

mine was missing a aperture for the rear sight but i've found a replacement

Nice rifle pity about the receiver sight  ::) now what you need to look for is one of these and believe me they are common:-

Parker-Hale PH-7A off a 12/15 BSA Martini target rifle

Or if you wish a sleeker one and are willing to spend more htne a BSA No8 or the P-H Sport target version. This is the BSA No8:-

That's on a BSA No2A single shot bolt action. No8 sights sadly do fetch quite a bit the P-H7A's are often cheap. I gave the spare one I had away to a friend in Alaska for a Martini sporting rifle.
 Both of course are fitted with target apertures but hunting ones can be fitted instead as they just screw in of course.

For example here is a P-H7A on that auction sight with 6 hole adjustable aperture:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parker-Hale-Rear-Sight-/170583546603?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item27b7925aeb
Most go for less like this one:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parker-Hale-7A-Rear-sight-/110630830725?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item19c21c8285
Please note that sights are not restricted here so there is no problem postign them to the US  ;)

Offline Higene

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
I have a 1885 Winchester in .357 Mag. I like it real well.

The serial number puts the action at 1897 and it does come up cocked which is a pre 1900 feature.

I like the 180 semi spire point for hunting (35 Rem bullet) and the 158 JSP.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »
Old topic, but I just found an Aust. Martini Cadet converted to 357 mag.  Not the greatest shape, and has a Lyman sight installed on the forward end of the action.  I'd like to get it but have no idea what it's worth.  Also wondering if these shoot good... AND would like to do a MAXI conversion like Handi rifles, but it looks like I have to remove the barrel to ream...

All comments welcome...

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
rd, it's actually very easy to convert.  Just make sure yours has an index mark so that you can screw the barrel back in correctly.  Mine did not, so I put one.  Don't know if it's true for all but my barrel screws in nice and snug, but not overly tight, you might get by without a barrel vise.  About a 30 minute job start to finish.  Here endeth the epistle.  Goatwhiskers the Elder

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:16:09 AM »
Ruger makes a number 1A light sporter in 357 mag They show up on gun broker and have seen one at a number of gun shows they also have made one they call a California Hyway patrol special in 357 mag.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.