Author Topic: Places to shoot in Houston  (Read 814 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Places to shoot in Houston
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »
...or a least check out.

Carter Country-been there survived never gone back, forget it.

American Shooting Centers. Been the nice facility, busy but noticed several side ranges not in use.  Check with mangagement about shooting cannons and or using private range.

Thunder Gun Range, Never been  there, Defensive pistol range.  Website looks like they may have the range.  Contact them and talk with them.  http://www.thundergunrange.com/

PSC Range.  Never been there.  private shooting club.   Website looks like they may have the range.  Contact them and talk with them. http://www.psc-range.com/

Lone Star  Rifle Company.  Owner Dave Higginbottom is a big BP silhouette riflre  shooter, long range.  Touch bases with him and see if he can suggest some where to shoot. http://www.lonestarrifle.com/

Old Fort Parker Patriots range near Mexia. Contact them and see about use of there range.   http://www.oldfortparkerpatriots.com/contacts.htm

Offline shred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Places to shoot in Houston
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »
I have some contacts at PSC and ASC if needed... doubt they could change any existing rules, but they might be able to make or suggest new ones...

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
This thread must be directed toward me. ;D
The only gun I have that shoots is this one.

It has a 1 1/2" bore and 36" wheels.
I have no way to haul it unless I disassemble it.
I have nothing to shoot out of it.
I showed a picture of my Parrott rifle (I no longer have) to a guy at a shooting range once.  He laughed and said "no way".
Right now I am content to live my shooting adventures through my fellow GBO board members.
I do feel I have something of value to add to this forum other than "smoke and flame".
When I get the urge or a gun I can reasonably handle by myself, I will try harder to find a place to shoot it.
I GREATLY appreciate that there are some of you that are concerned about me. :)
In the meantime, you are stuck with my sometimes boring pictures of static displays. :P
I love this forum! 8)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

You and others in the area, since there was mention a short while back about getting together in the Houston Area.  I would start small and work up.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »
Zulu, I for one have never found you static pictures to be boring. Just the opposite. I find them very interesting. To see what you can do with wood I believe makes you a true artisean. I would love to have one of you peices sitting in front of my house or better yet, in my living room.

Like you, I cannot handle large size artillery. So I choose to shoot small. My biggest peice is what I call my 2# cohern. About a 2-1/8 diameter bore. I can easily carry this short distances.

Please do not ever think of your pics as boring. No sir, they are beautiful.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:19:37 AM »
Thanks brokenpole.  I am an artist in my own mind.  But I think you are not really an artist till someone else thinks so.
Zulu Bighead
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:36:10 AM »
This post has nothing to do with your guns Zulu.

The point is every time we get into a discussion about holding  shots the  Texas delegation say they have no place to shoot.

I know about the problems of finding a place to shoot in the  Houston area, I use to live there...but I dug and dug and found a place to shoot when I was there.  You folks who live there have my sympathy.  Of all the many places we lived, my wife and I rated Houston as the  worst place we had lived for weather and our lifestyle--shooting and hunting a big part of our lifestyle.  Worse than Southern  California and Northern Virginia.

I noticed a post over on Cast Boolits on this topic, someone moved to Houston and wanted to know where to shoot.  That's where I got  PSC. 

I recalled the problems the fellows here on the board have stated  and start brainstorming.  The list is what I came up with.  That's all, nothing more.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
But I think you are not really an artist till someone else thinks so.

That is a pretty generous definition but having associated with a bunch of them while I was casting my mountain howitzers and such, they all seemed to think they were artists no matter what kind of stuff they created.  One guy was casting bronze high heeled shoes and eventually found a market for them.

But it had to be emotional.  Somehow originality wasn't enough to qualify as creativity.

I'm sure that they wouldn't have considered designing a new airplane as creative. 

But I would.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
But I think you are not really an artist till someone else thinks so.

That is a pretty generous definition but having associated with a bunch of them while I was casting my mountain howitzers and such, they all seemed to think they were artists no matter what kind of stuff they created.  One guy was casting bronze high heeled shoes and eventually found a market for them.

But it had to be emotional.  Somehow originality wasn't enough to qualify as creativity.

I'm sure that they wouldn't have considered designing a new airplane as creative. 

But I would.

Good definition!

Check out Kipling phrase (in one of his poems).  "That's pretty, but is it art?"  WHO was it that said that?!!? 

That's why I say, good definition!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)