Author Topic: Old Weaver K6 (circa 1970)  (Read 1265 times)

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
Old Weaver K6 (circa 1970)
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
My father gave me a couple scopes a while back, and I was looking thru them tonight. The one that I find most intriguing is an old Weaver K6. It is in MINT condition. I believe it is a fixed 6x40mm.

The scope is in the original box, with all of the paper work, owners manual, advertising pamphlets, and even the original receipt dated 1970 with a purchase price of $34.95. That sounds like a pretty expensive scope considering it was 41 years ago.

Can anyone tell me about this scope?

Was it a good scope back in the day?

Is it worth using?

Is it worth any money?

Thanks!

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Old Weaver K6 (circa 1970)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
in the day if i remember correctly, weaver and redfield were the gooduns.6x is perfect for deer or yotes.id have it on a rifle in a heartbeat!take it out at dawn and dusk and see how it picks up light.if it doesnt do as good as your newer scopes then dont use it.but let someone else get a chance to put it on a vintage rifle if its still good.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »
      They still make the scope today with a few upgrades of course the objective is 42 mm now, new price is about 140.00 . Second they are very good scopes for the money, I have one on my truck gun 308 it takes a lot of bumps and bangs sitting behind the seat on the floor in a soft sock. Never had a problem with the scope holds zero good, excelent clarity and very thick cross hairs. Bought it used about 6 years ago for 75.00.  The old ones were glossy mine is the newer flat black. I like fixed scopes you don't have to fiddle with power settings, as the military taught me the acronym KISS, (keep it simple stupid) I'm a firm believer in it. I like the k-6 weaver, two thumbs up!!

woods

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »
 I like those old steel tube Weavers and have a small collection of them. Still use a couple of K3's, a K4 and a K10 on vintage rifles. They track well and are very durable.

However, they're not on par with today's scopes and their multi-coated optics. Still quite usable, but even most cheap scopes made today are clearer & brighter.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline qualityscoperepair

• www.qualityscoperepair.com
    • Quality Scope Repair
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:12:16 AM »
Hello Dave,

The K6's were made from 1950-1984. In '73 Weaver stopped using the click-style windage and elevation adjustments so yours should be click-type.

They are great vintage scopes and you have a great find there with all of the paperwork and box.

JB
Jonathan "JB" Brown
Quality Scope Repair
www.qualityscoperepair.com
jbrown40004@hotmail.com
Industrial Environmental Consultant
KY Licensed Home Inspector