Author Topic: Pressure of a Remington #1 rolling block  (Read 1602 times)

Offline beng

• Trade Count: (0)
Pressure of a Remington #1 rolling block
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
I have two quick questions about the #1 rolling block.  I ask this question to the Remington Forum but no answer.    First, a good friend of mine, (gunsmith) had a, as he called it:  "Remington model #1 large frame military type with the rotary extractor"   He had to show me and explain it all, I have never had a rolling block.   I put a new heavy barrel 34" octagon with a 1-18 twist.   It now has a Treebone stock and the midrange Hepburn tang sights.   But the question is:   The receiver group (outside) looked like someone buffed it and it looks like chrome.   The hammer etc. looks old but in good condition.   The only numbers on it is at the back end of the triggerguard and receiver (area that the bolt goes through the stock, number 4350 on each side)  I was told this was a S/N for it.     Also, what pressure will this rolling block take?   Right now, i'm at about 1300 fps. (500 Creedmoor)  Was told, at the range, not to go any higher it will not take the pressure.    "Can anyone help thanks"     beng
beng

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: Pressure of a Remington #1 rolling block
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
You have black powder rolling blocks and smokeless rolling blocks. Then you have some of the Swedish rollers that were converted to 8MM smokeless. I would tread on the side of safety and do only black powder or smokeless equals for pressure sake. I had one of the Swede rollers converted from black to smokeless. The loading books had some pretty stiff smokeless loads that franky scared me to death.I would google Swede rollers and see some of the blowups that happened with high pressure smokeless loads. I think some deaths even occurred in Europe with this converted models. They are very capable with smokeless loads when the pressures are kept at a sanity level.

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »
Hello, beng.  Be careful with that No. 1 and smokeless.  This spring, I purchased an original No. 1 rolling block pistol gripped sporter, in .40-70 str. (2 1/2").  I have used reduced smokeless loads in modern S.S., & vintage guns for years.  I spoke with Dave Higgenbotham of Lone Star Rifles.  He said he has seen some rollers come apart even when firing mild smokeless loads that had been used in same gun for years.  He thinks with a reduced load..with the powder lying horizontal along bottom of case, the primer flash can sometimes ignite the WHOLE charge at once.  The failed rolling blks. he saw looked to be burst in a sideways manner.  I had planned on using a safe proven load of smokeless in this new aquisition..but after hearing that..the only powder I am using in it will be black.  Good luck!

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
 I have 5 Rollers, all original.
Two in 7x57, one in 22 rim, two are Argentine 1879 versions of 43 Spanish, one in the original 43 Spanish Refomatio (spelling) taper case and the other is an arsenal refinish 21" carbine in 43 Spanish bottle neck case.
One 7x57 is a 1897 #1 BP action and the other is a 1902 smokeless #5 action.
The two 43s are both BP #1 actions.
I assume the 22 #4 action is smokeless but really don't know for sure, have never researched it yet.
As long as you keep the loads to BP pressures in the #1 actions you should be fine as long as the guns have been checked and in good shootable condition.
I have shot smokeless in the Argentine 43 bottle neck cases with no problem.
These were loaded by a now deceased ammo man many years ago named Tony Salior on new 43 Spanish bell brass with a 389gr lead bullet.
They work great and pack quite a thump out of the short 21" carbine.
Seemed to be a little stouter than factory 45/70 lead ammo.
The 43 case does have more powder capacity than a modern 45/70.
I have reloaded for the #5 smokeless 7x57 with upper middle of the road loads with jacketed bullets with fine groups out to about 150 yds, around 2.5" on open sights.
Just keep your #1 action to lower trapdoor loads and you should be fine.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07