Author Topic: scope for a youth-sized handi  (Read 490 times)

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
scope for a youth-sized handi
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »
- It's not for a kid so weight isn't a primary issue, though balance isn't to be totally neglected
- The barrel has a lot of taper to it so I can probably get away with a big objective, though I'm not for/against it
- I DISLIKE the hammer extension, I would prefer to not use it (though I do not want to open the breech for cock/uncock)
- I'm poor, and my eyes are not particularly sharp as is, so I'm not buying a scope that has nice features without "crisp" clarity

Whatever I get, I'll need a good set of mounts to go with it.  I'm liking the burris z at the moment, any other suggestions?

The best deals I've found online that will suit me for features, reputation and price are the:
burris fullfield 3-9x40mm @ $139
bushnell trophy xlt 3-9x40mm $113

I've read that the burris are constructed virtually the same as leupold internally, cost less, not as small and sleek though.
I've read and received first-hand advice/accounts of the bushnell trophy as a good, clear, sturdy scope. 

any BIG differences on clarity, low-light functioning, or ruggedness between THOSE TWO scope lines? 

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: scope for a youth-sized handi
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »
We have several Bushnell trophy scopes and home, and I feel for the money they are very good scopes.  Can you get better- Yes, but for those of us who just can't, it is a reliable scope for the money. I don't have a Burris so can't reply on them.  Take care, thejanitor

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:10 AM »
I've had Bushnell and Tasco scopes on my less expensive rifles.  Both companies scopes work well.  Did you try Tasco's "World Class" line of scopes.  Their fairly inexpensive, and are a good deal for the price.  Try this link, it's for a stainless model, about $50.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/31890-34.html

If you want something better browse thru the catalog. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:42 AM »
I'd do a 4x32 or 40 scout mount and loose the hammer spur.  See the FAQs.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline oldfort

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:41 AM »
Cameraland NY has the Vortex 2x7 for $179 and free shipping. You might do a little reading on them. German glass. I have two on lever rifles and am very pleased. Good luck.

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
Natchez SS has the Simmons Pro-Diamond X4 scope for $40... have one on my .357 Handi,,, it's nice and clear.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline Squib

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »
flinthead- actually I was looking online at those simmons shotgun scopes with the diamond pattern reticle... looked good, and the reticle was funky enough to be "eye-catching" and not "lost" in the sight picture on a quick shot.  I'd use that on my 45-70 if I got it though, just may in the future?  for now I'm focusing on basic reticles for 300 and under on a .243 though.. I think that at 300yds with a 3-9 I should stop and think about even taking the shot so no fancy stuff needed (no bdc, no mil-dots, etcetera).  I DID see a trophy xlt for $169 today in 4-12x40mm that could get me to 300yds comfortably, though it's hard to tell in the shop whether or not the image would still stay clear at that magnification.

petemi- no way, I'm not chopping my hammer.  I thought about that, but the trigger is so light and crisp I don't want to mess with any of the internals. 

I like the specs and technical info on burris, but haven't felt them up enough yet.  I'll give it a try tomorrow morning... though I'm probably going bushnell this time (xlt, I want those lens covers, and that cyborg? buck symbol looks cooler  :P ).

let's focus on rings.  I've heard high weavers are decent, quad-latch??? simmons, burris Z or ZEE... and whichever I get I'd prefer aluminum for spongy metal since I tend to lock my scopes down hard.  I like the base that came on it, and yes it seems lined up real straight so why mess with a good thing?  I'll have the dough to do it next week most likely, so the sooner you drop a grand opinion the better.  thanks guys.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
I like Millet angle lock rings.  Use them on all my Handi's.  Rather inexpensive and very solid.  Steel.  Also windage adjustable.  NOT quick release but easy to do.  Low rings do well with hammer bob.  Medium fit regular bell scope without hammer bob.  They are also narrower than others so a little more scope adjustment.

Also like old Burris scopes.  Have several.  They are better than most.  Don't know how the new ones are.  Reputable company.  Vortex also has good reputation on optics forum.  Otherwise I'd go Redfield.  Supposedly made by Leupold.

Just posted about a Simmons which is really 'handi', but fixed 4x only.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
I have a 4x simmons shotgun scope mounted ahead of the hammer on my 44 mag handi, but it wasn't a choice of the two scopes you asked about....  Very nice clear scope, and no hammer spur needed.
thejanitor

Offline Steve Gold

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 04:47:02 PM »
This was the most difficult part of putting my 44 shorty together. With the youth stock and the 4 x 30 BSA tactical scope with four inches of eye relief I was able to get the scope just in front of the hammer with enough room to cock the trigger.

I used the ironsighter base with low rings and had to grind clearance to clear the eyepiece.

Steve

Offline Squib

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
JANITOR- I've also had my eye on that scope for a different reason.  I really do think it's about the best for my back-burner project to get a quick detach scope on my 45-70.  that rifle has a customized stock that pops my eyes right into perfect position for the iron sights, and they're dead set for overlapping holes between 30yds kneeling, and 50yds rested.  that's not the gun or loads' limits, it's me moving around while loading and snapping into position again and again!  I really don't want to disrupt my ability to instinctively present and have the sights ON, but a q/d option means I could put that scope on if I had time, if no time that means the buck is coming close so no need to scope anyways.  I think I just talked myself into it for real this time.  OOPS!

this makes perfect sense for the .243 as well EXCEPT I want it for dual purpose squirrel and deer, plus coyotes and random critters.  I can't imagine shooting with confidence at an obscured grey squirrel using a 4x scope past 25yds.  for deer that would honestly be perfectly acceptable with the .243 in thick brush, and within 100yds still no issue, even in low light with that particular scope, but I'd like more for clean kills past 100yds.  my eyes can miss small brush/obstructions in the flight path, and my trigger finger can pull a shot a bit, my racing heart can pull a shot a lot, a bad combo to make a bad shot for sure... I'd like 6x for 100yds low-light and/or shadow.  Did I mention I want to see a varmint explode, I've still never done that, just used .22lr on most.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
Squib- for the 45-70 the shotgun scope eye relief could be a blessing, I have only leaned too far into that gun (45-70) twice while shooting off the bench, ouch! I think you would like the scope far enough ahead to be a non issue. (mine has a regular close relief 3-9)
But I agree for a squirrel and other little or far critters this is not the scope for the job. But I know some make a 3-9 shotgun scope but you would probably find it higher off the base than the one I mentioned before. May take it from a non-monty stock height to a monty carlo stock height and that would change your plan for the QD mounts and open sight use.
Good luck - thejanitor

Offline Squib

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »
I really do have that add-on cheek-riser done up just right to take the stock travel (i.e. running start to collide with my face) out of the equation, the gun rears up and shoves me back with "grown-man loads" but doesn't bruise me anymore, doesn't HIT me at all just a real good shove.  eye relief wouldn't come up in that regard, actually I like to be right up on a scope (depending on the cartridge and stock that is), BUT I'd want the scope ahead of the hammer and a smallish fixed power would do that, plus it'd make my gun all scout-rifle tacticool then too.  light gathering capability better than my eyes, huge exit pupil, more precise than irons, etcetera .... man, maybe I should just neglect the .243 for awhile and just priss up my 45-70 till it's a safequeen.  the more I think about it, the more I think it's thirsty for red again!

I  know what you mean though, I used to have a sock full of birdshot number nine and a limbsaver over the factory pad to shoot it, but now I am fine just because of that rubbery piece I glued, screwed, dremeled, sanded, and finished onto the stock to monty carlo it.  ps I'll NEVER again get a handi in a straight stock unless it's a shotgun with a post sight.  back to the subject of actually having a centerfire VARMINT gun for once in my life instead of too big or small.  do you know of any relatively distant relief 3-9 or 4-12 on the cheap that are crystal clear, spartan on features, cheap....  I'm poor, and don't like fancy reticles for the most part, really don't like disrupting a good zero to "dial-in" a shot either.  I want medium/small size tube, below 5x minimum power, monotube, good picture, stabile zero once set and left alone, a reticle I can actually pick out with minimal fanciness but not a fat thick one that obscures targets.  heck I could probably get a super cheap scope to do all that except the monotube and zero reliability.

Offline Squib

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:41:26 PM »
I went to a shop today and fitted some weaver steel grand slam quick detach onto the .243, it works with the bushnell trophy 3-9 and 4-12.  I THINK I'm getting the 3-9, but may still go 4-12.  I should have the scope next week (I'll have the dough then, and hopefully a decision too).  Squirrels may explode the 23rd.