Author Topic: Barnes 130 grn 7mm bullets?  (Read 661 times)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Barnes 130 grn 7mm bullets?
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
 I bought 100 of these from a guy at a decent price. They seem to be older ones, without the grooves cut out. They are all copper bullets. I have a 284win & soon a 7mm-08 to load for. I have to check a few more manuals but I don't see this 130 grn Barnes 7mm bullet listed hardly at all.

With a regular bullet I would just use 130 grn data. I would expect higher pressures with this all copper, non grooved bullet? I don't see data at the Barnes site for this  bullet.   Has anyone here used this bullet or have a comment on the copper, non grooved bullets? Any pressure issues when using data for a regular cup/core 130 grn bullet?

I am a newbe with these copper bullets.  Just doing a little research at the moment, thanks.
NRA, Veteran

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Barnes 130 grn 7mm bullets?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
I have not used all copper bullets too much either. My understanding is they need to be .050" off the lands or more. They evidently need a good running start before they hit the lands.

I found data for the 130 grain XBT for the 284 in an old 2006 Hodgdon loading manual. It compares closely to the 120 grain V-Max. It looks like it does not matter too much if it is solid copper or a cup and lead bullet. As always, start low and work your way up. 

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
Here's a couple of scans from the Barnes Manual # 3 for your bullet:

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 12:34:15 AM »
 Hey guys, thank you very much. That's plenty to get me by. I did look at the Barnes site & a general google search & I didn't see much on the 130 grn 'X' BT bullet. I did find that Hodgdon data last eve using this bullet in the 284win. I also read a bit in my Lee manual about using specific data for the all copper bullets, with the potential of higher pressures.

Since I'd rather load these for my 7mm-08 I'll key on the above 7mm-08 data. I did see the charges were not a whole lot different than the regular bullets of the same weight.

As far as performance on game with an all copper Barnes bullet, are we in the ballpark of a Nosler partition? Could one expect a  tough bullet with good penetration?  Hopefully they shoot O.K. too.
NRA, Veteran

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »
A quick call to the Barnes tech folks will get you an email with all the data you want and you can pick their brains didrectly with any questions you have.

Good luck

lance

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
you might be disappointed with the accuracy, if your rifle just doesn't shoot them well...but I don't think you will be disappointed with their performance on game
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis