Author Topic: 45 long colt loads, not chambering in ruger  (Read 1314 times)

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
45 long colt loads, not chambering in ruger
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »
okay this is what ive done, cleaned,de-primed and sized the brass,then trimmed to OAL of 1.285 loading the 250 grain deep curl bullets OAL 1.60. they would not chamber at all, seated bullets deeper to OAL of 1.54 some will spin completely around without problem others feel like they are dragging agaist the frame. using all lee equipment please help?

Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" BBL 45 LC
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline shakey

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45 long colt loads, not chambering in ruger
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
This is little more than a hunch without measurements.  I think a clue is being unable to chamber your rounds without seating them deeper. This suggests to me that your bullets are larger than your cylinder throats.

I'd be measuring bullets and throats.  You may need to size bullets smaller and/or ream cylinder throats.

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
bullets are 452 i also candle blacked  several cases(starline) there are obvious scratch marks on the rims, is there a way to trim the rims to a uniform thickness, or just pull the bullets and scrap the cases this was new brass. also what is the minimum OAL length without adversely affecting pressure
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »
Get your calipers out and measure the brass after sizing and a completed round. Head dia., just in front of rim, rim thickness, mid way down the case. diameter at mouth, crimp diameter, etc. You need to know where the cartridge is too big before you can troubleshoot...

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:03:17 AM »
measuring from where the bullet enters the case every 1/8" bullet base .452-.475-472-470-470-470-476 just above the rim grove

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
Some of my reloads had a similar problem.  I identified it as the flared mouth of the case was left flared in the bullet seating procedure so I just bumped them down in the sizing die.  (after removing the decapping pin). Then the unfired rounds would fall out of the cylinder.

Offline shot1

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »
Were you seating the bullet and putting the crimp on them at the same time? If you were you may have slightly bulged you cases. Seat your bullets first then go back and crimp them. Here is how to set up your die to do this. Place a case in the shell holder and raise the ram. Place your seating die in the press with the seating stem raised way out. Screw the die down until you feel it hit the case mouth. Now back the seating die out one full turn and lock it into place. Now remove the case and set up the die to seat your bullets to the COAL you want. Seat all bullets then back the seating stem way out. Place a round into the shell holder and raise the ram. Screw the seating die down until you feel it hit the case. Lower the ram and turn your seating die down in small amounts raising the ram to see how much crimp it places on the round until you get what you want. Then lock the die down and proceed to crimp the rest of your rounds. This may take a little longer but you will have good reloads in the end. Lee factory crimp dies can also be substituted for the crimping process and they are really good especially for auto ammo.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
Had this for a while, but using a Lee factory crimp die, fixed my issues.  I use it on my .45acp for all loads also and keeps feeding good in my autos.  In my revolver also, the .45acp cylinder is a pain without this step.  Give it a try.  ;)

https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/CRBIDE-FAC-CP-DI-45-COLT.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 06:11:29 PM »
Thanks for all the info think i will invest in factory crimp dies, just started reloading handgun calibers. 45 acp, 357, 38 special and 45 long colt figured to try the long colt first. probaly pull all the bullets at start from scratch.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
wileynet…

I shoot the same handgun and I have my reloads using the 45-270-SAA seated to an OCL of 1.628” and there is still room on the chamber of the cylinder to seat it a bit longer…

So, your OCL is not too long…

I seat and crimp in one step, at least for all of my straight-walled handgun cases.  No reason you can’t at all…

Screw your seating die out so that with a case in it full up position, the case mouth is not touched by the crimp ring in the seating die…

Unscrew the seating stem so that when you have the case and boolit in the full up posting on the die, it is not touching the boolit…

Slowly screw the seating stem down until it touches the boolit.  Continue to seat the boolit a bit each time by screwing the seating stem in.  Do this until you get the boolit to the depth you want it seated…

Back the seating stem out and with the cartridge still in the up position in the die; screw the die down until you feel the crimp ring touch the case mouth.  Lower the case a bit from the die and screw the die down a bit.  You raise the case again and you will begin to fell the crimp start.  Do this until you get a minimal crimp—just to remove the bell or a bit more.  Doesn’t take much more than that…

Lock the die in  place with the lock ring.  Then with the cartridge in the full up position in the die, screw the seating stem down until it touches the boolit.  Lock it in place…

You know have a seating die set to seat the boolit and crimp lightly with one step…

This should solve your problem…

One other thing will cause what you are mentioning—a primer that is not seated below flush with the base of the case…

Crimping dies are O.K. as a matter of fact, I have many. But for general shooting and plinking with a handgun, they are not necessary if the seating/crimping is done correctly…

They are just and extra expense...

Good-luck…BCB

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:12:06 PM »
just got notice from speer that says i need to seat the Deep Curl(old Gold Dot) deeper in the case they recommend 1/16th deeper, also sent different load data than i had previously. for the gold dot, waiting on bullet puller will resize the cases (Without pin) , and reset my seating die, as above , after looking carefully, at each round does not appear that the case is crimped into the canaluer.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:07:01 AM »
Well Speer would certainly know their bullets, but I would think unless you are ‘bout ½ mile from the cannelure, the case would still be short enough to chamber in a Ruger, especially a 250 grainer…

I am using the 45-270-SAA and it is a 283 grainer and if I crimp in the cannelure, I still have over a 1/16 inch, maybe a bit more, from the front of the boolit to the face of the cylinder…

Hope seating the Speer bullet deeper solves your problem…

Let us know…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:07:31 AM »
take a good look and make sure your primers are seated all the way.
blue lives matter

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
I just measured some of my cartridges that are loaded with the 45-270-SAA and they have an O.C.L. of 1.628”…

With the cartridge at that length, I still have 0.11 inch at the end of the camber.  That means I could have that cartridge at an O.C. L. of 1.738”…

As far as the primer goes not being seated deep enough.  That is almost ridiculous…

My cylinder will turn with a primer that is 0.012” above flush with the base of the case.  That much of the primer exposed won’t allow the case to be removed from the shell holder.  At least it won’t with most priming tools…

Your problem is a case with a bulge someplace.  Be it the area in front of the base (are you full-length sizing your cases?) or a bulge from the crimp…

OR, you have a cylinder that has chambers not cut to specs…

Can’t think of any other reason for the cartridge to not chamber…

Take one of the cases you wish to load…

Full-length size—the bottom of the sizing die should touch the shell holder…

Will that case chamber?...

Put a very minimal flare on the case—just enough to let the bullet start.  That won’t be much as the jacketed bullets are bevel base…

Seat a FIRED primer as hard as you can to be certain it is below flush with the case base…

Seat Speer bullets to the depth recommended by Speer, and apply a mild crimp—just enough to remove the flare/bell…

If it won’t chamber, you have cylinder problems…

OR a sizing die that is incorrect in dimensions…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 02:20:32 PM »
pulled the bullet seater completely out of my die, stated screwing the die in until a round chambered and turned freely, die is touching the die plate(lee loadmaster) will try to go out tommorow and shoot the rounds see what happens

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »
Sounds like the problem is solved! Good Shooting!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,