Author Topic: Weaver J 2.5 Scope  (Read 1775 times)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Weaver J 2.5 Scope
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
I just picked up a rifle with a vintage Weaver J 2.5 scope on it.  It has a 3/4" tube, but is not one of the .22 scopes.  What do you guys know about it?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Weaver J 2.5 Scope
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
It actually was a .22 scope but an upscale one from the old B series scopes most think of when they think of the Weaver rimfire scopes. It was I believe tough enough to be used on a centerfire but I don't recall ever using them on anything but rimfires.

They made both a 2.5x and a 4x in the J series. I've owned both and both of the B series scopes as well. I don't think the crosshairs remain constantly centered on either of them. Now I've not used one in well over 30 years likely closer to 40 years so I might be remembering that wrong but I believe constantly centered crosshairs came after the J scopes.

It was a decent scope for the day and for rimfires but compared to even a bottom of the line BSA scope it just don't cut it. I'd be very surprised if the doublet lens having decemented in all these years. If so it would cost far more than a good scope would cost you to repair it if you can even find anyone to do it.

I'd put it on a shelf as a memento of days gone by and get a better scope for your rifle.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
Bill,
I took it off when I got it home and replaced it with a 3x9 Redfield since I had a mount already on hand.  Even if it were a K sries, 2.5x just wouldn't be adequate.  I'll probably put in in the Optics Classifieds.  It will look great on a vintage rifle, or perhaps a Weaver collector will want it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »
Yup some collector should want it and perhaps someone who has a rifle of that vintage they don't shoot might also. Ya never know until ya post it. I've noticed that almost anything posted to the classifieds sells if it's priced reasonably unless I list it then I can't seem to give it away.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!