Author Topic: A couple more slug guns  (Read 628 times)

Offline plastikosmd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
A couple more slug guns
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:43:22 AM »
The first is a big gun, 69 caliber, close to 80lbs
AKA the hernia. I will update as I remember more of the story about this gun. It has quite a history. This is a 69 caliber,70+ lb slug gun built by Bresien.  The original gun was a Resor.  It was stolen in the 1970's.  The tooling was not taken with the gun. Gerard F. deVaudereuil bought the tooling. He was friends with Mr. Breisen and asked him to build a gun based on the tooling provided.  Mr. Bresien was convinced and this was built.  I also purchased the 40x Mitchell scope with the rifle.  I also have a second action coming (non spring underhammer) that I may use with it. It is also Bresien built. I didnt take pictures of all the swages/moulds/tooling etc. There is a bunch!
The slugs are next to (L-R) 55g 22, 158g 357, 250g 45, 645g (or so) .485 slug, then the two 69 slugs and their profile. 1700+ grains

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
Re: A couple more slug guns
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:44:17 AM »
The second rifle
This is an orginal rilfe built by S& GF Pierce of Grand Rapids , Mich.  This rifle was purchased by Jerry F. deVaudereuil  in 1969. The rifle was sold in 1990 for around 5000$.  Jerry was able to buy the rilfe back after he realized his mistake some time later for 6750$.  On the first box of tooling (and it is all there) the script states it is a swaged round ball gun.  From what I understand, at some point Lester Cox designed a slug for the gun and that is how it has been shot in modern times based on the targets provided.  From what I was told, Pierce was a contempoary of Billinghurst, studying under him.  I am told the rilfe dates to around the civil war and was a 'sniper rifle.'  Not sure, it seems pretty nice for a field gun, not sure if that is how they did it in those days.  Anyway, now it is set up to shoot 45 caliber slugs and has done so quite well.  There was a match card from Camp Perry 600yrd match where Mr. Cox took second with the same score as the person who took first. To break the tie, a second measurement was used, not sure what it means.  Anyway, on with the pics
Case and some of the tooling

Open case

Open case

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:02 AM »
Ok, here are the targets and the camp perry letter, 600yrd match, score was 48-3 by both top shooters, Winner,  was Clyde Hill, there is also 61" noted (not sure what that is) Lester is #2, same score and 76", #3 is what appears to be Walter Grote , score 47-5, 4-6 are also listed.

Ten shot group by Mr. Cox

First five shots ever fired by Gerald

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:46:40 AM »

Rifle together, some tooling and rods/drop tube etc

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
The sights are pretty cool, the rear sight seems to have been made by some sort of coin or medal

The rear,

The front sight, there are a few, one has a bunch of wooden apatures, etc bobs that you put in, a turn of the century redfield!
Also some tooling/slugs etc

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »
Neat stuff Plastikosmd.  Thanks for posting those great pictures. 
You never know where you will run across a great idea.  I've been trying to figure out how to make a lollypop rear peep sight that has a windage adjustment, and that coin sight is the perfect answer.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline plastikosmd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
glad u took something out of the post!
some additional pictures
the gun next to a 'modern' 1960's 40x 308 with bull barrel

Slug gun false muzzles 69, 485 morris, 45 pierce

Side view, note the lock collar on the bresien design rather than the latch type