Author Topic: Old 8mm ammo reclaiming advice  (Read 522 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Old 8mm ammo reclaiming advice
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
I have several hundred rds of old Turk ammo dated back to 1944. These are the hottest 8mm rounds I have ever shot, and even more so that the powder is getting older and the brass is getting harder.
I fired off a few the other day and every other round out of 5 had split cases. Naturally I am not going to shoot anymore of them. So I decided to reclaim the bullets, but one problem: How to get rid off all these berden primed cases?
I don't want to shoot off all them in my GEW 98 Mauser as they are corrosive. And my old Turk 98 won't fire them off due to a weak firing pin spring.
Any suggestions?

-Aaron

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Old 8mm ammo reclaiming advice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:58:16 AM »
pull the bullets then soak the brass with WD 40 or other pentrating oil .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
Good idea. I thought of drowning them in a bucket of water, I guess that would work as well.
Thanks.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:21:51 AM »
Either way you to soak them , it will take some time to kill the primers , I tested some that were sitting in water for over a week and about 10% still pop'ed , my advice is to drop them in a bucket with water and just set them aside for a month or so .

You could consider a lite load of TrailBoss and cast bullets for plunkers to use the primed case's .

stimpy

PM coming your way .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Spector

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
I can only sell fired brass to the only scrapyard around here that will even buy cartridge brass.   I take a torch and heat the base of the cases while I hold the case with pliers.  I go to my conservation club range when no one else is there and point the cases in a safe direction as primers often blow out of the case.  Even some I've killed with WD40 go off anyway.  Some make a whistling sound.   I guarantee to them that there are no live primers in the brass I sell them......Mike

Offline shot1

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Water will not permanently kill a primer. When it drys out it is just a powerful as before. They put the priming compound in the primer cup wet and let it dry. Oil will kill a primer. WD40 is not oil. It is kerosene and paraffin a water displacement thus the WD name and it took them 40 triers to come up with this formula to keep moisture from corroding the electrical parts in Nuke missiles. Use real OIL and it will kill a primer.