Author Topic: cratered primers  (Read 879 times)

Offline tvc15

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
cratered primers
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
I bought some factory ammo American Eagle 115 grain 9mm just to fire my new pistol and collect brass. When I got home looked at the primers and noticed the primers were cratered.

Keep in mind this is factory ammo.

Brand new Zastava EZ9. Bought another 50 of the federal ammo to try tomorrow.
This is my first handgun so I don't know if this is regular.

I know from reloading rifles this is a pressure sign.

Any idea's??

TVC15

Offline Savage

Re: cratered primers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:54:48 PM »
If by "cratering" you mean primer material is flowing back around the firing pin, it could be caused by an oversize firing pin hole in the breech face, or it could be a timing issue with the pistol it's self. I think you're on the right track by trying different ammo. Some primer materials are softer than others, Federal being one of the softest, and CCI being among the hardest with WW and Rem somewhere in between. If it's not piercing primers, it's likely not a major concern. 
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
If by "cratering" you mean primer material is flowing back around the firing pin, it could be caused by an oversize firing pin hole in the breech face, or it could be a timing issue with the pistol it's self. I think you're on the right track by trying different ammo. Some primer materials are softer than others, Federal being one of the softest, and CCI being among the hardest with WW and Rem somewhere in between. If it's not piercing primers, it's likely not a major concern. 
Savage
[/qagreed, if it does it with other ammo then its the gun that needs looked at.uote]

Offline shot1

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 04:13:20 AM »
I guess you have never look at any brass that has been fired in a Glock. It is the large firing pin hole that usually lets the primer metal flow back into it. Like has been said it is no big deal unless you are getting pierced primers. By the way the 9mm is a pretty high pressure round compared to a lot of pistol rounds so even loaded to specks it is hot.

Offline tvc15

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
Thanks for the info. I feel better now. New ammo did pretty much the same but no piercing at all. Man that pistol is a shooter.

I'll start my reloads soon and go with the CCI primers, I use them on my rifles.

TVC15