Author Topic: mold on gun stocks  (Read 589 times)

Offline Dustan

• Trade Count: (0)
mold on gun stocks
« on: September 25, 2005, 01:13:39 AM »
My father has a Bear safe full of long and hand guns. We cleaned them about a month ago and noticed some kind of mold on the stocks. We cleaned it off and noticed it had returned yesterday. The safe has a Golden Rod in it ... does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline savageT

• Trade Count: (0)
mold on gun stocks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »
Don't know what kind of finishes on the guns but try using Balistol for cleaning.  It's great for everything:  metalwork, stocks and leather also.  It comes in spray cans and liquid as well.  Must have been something that you cleaned or polished it with previously????  Did you have them out in a rain or very damp conditions, then sealed them inside the safe?  You may have to disassemble them and remove the stocks from receivers and barrels to get at the hidden mold.

I think you may have a serious mold infestation inside the gun cabinet now and must clean it out with Lysol solution after removing the guns.  Leave the door propped open for awhile to dry it out and watch closely.  Place a fan inside and let it run till you're satisfied.  I've been pretty happy with those silicone gun socks: inexpensive and prevent rust.

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.