Author Topic: Swivel Gun advice  (Read 1443 times)

Offline hangfire2

• Trade Count: (0)
Swivel Gun advice
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
I've wanted a swivel gun for sometime now.  I really like some of Cannon mikes offerings, such as the English Swivel Gun, 1.25" diameter barrel, 18.5inches, and the Spanish swivel, 1.25" diameter, 18.5 inch variety.
There are a few things I'd like to discuss/learn before actually buying one.
First, what size powder charge would be reccommended for a swivel gun such as these. 
Next, if I wanted to use a "buckshot" type load, what would be the suggestions in terms of round ball size, and number. 
Just how much oomph are behind these babies... I had read on a forum somewhere that someone with a swivel gun fired a C battery size projectile and it went through a tree??  I'm guessing he was using a large round ball of some type, but details are sketchy.
Next, I dont know what you would call it in cannon terminology, but I'd like to have something with a pull string, hammer type arrangement...preferably using musket caps and a musket nipple for example, instead of fuse. . I wouldnt think this would be all that out of the ordinary?   Would it be hard to have cannon mike or some other manufacturer customize the swivel gun so I could use musket caps?
Next, the swivel feature itself.  Id like to be able to swivel the gun, side to side anyway...
thoughts and suggestions for a novice swivel gun enthusiast are welcome.

Hangfire

Offline subdjoe

Re: Swivel Gun advice
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »
Welcome!  Set yerself down a spell. 

There are various types of locks for cannon.  Spring loaded percussion locks, flint locks,  "slap hammers" that use the pull of the lanyard to power the hammer and fire a musket cap on a nipple. 

In my opinion none would really lend themselves well to a small gun such as you described. The force of the pull could easily turn the gun.

For power, think of a 12 ga. slug. 

For a quick run down on canister and grape, since I'm not sure what you mean by 'buckshot' in this context, it could be either, check http://www.civilwarartillery.com/
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
Here is a video of Tropico shooting his 1 inch swivel cannon. Note the recoil and how he fired it.
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb114/jeeper2/?action=view&current=Jul052007-VID00031.mp4
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
self delete

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
Hangfire2 Welcome to the board !  8)

It's good you asked B4 just jumping in with something weird/dangrous .

Check out our sponsers for a well made gun .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »
I've wanted a swivel gun for sometime now.  I really like some of Cannon mikes offerings, such as the English Swivel Gun, 1.25" diameter barrel, 18.5inches, and the Spanish swivel, 1.25" diameter, 18.5 inch variety.

Hangfire

I believe someone recently posted that Cannon Mike is no longer making cannons.  If you contact him and find out differently please let us know..

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
delete

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
Good to here, he makes a nice gun.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »
I have contacted Cannon Mike by email & he has some cannons for sale.

Nice to hear he still has cannons for sale. I've got one of his 1 1/4" Spanish Swivels and love the rounded lines of it over the squared lines of the English Swivels. He makes a neat touchhole sight, too.

When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »
I have contacted Cannon Mike by email & he has some cannons for sale.
I did the same.  He indicated he still does about 12 a year.