Author Topic: Wisconsin Teachers Union Layoffs 40%  (Read 535 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Wisconsin Teachers Union Layoffs 40%
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
- selected newswatch item - WEAC issues layoff notices to 40% of staff  By Erin Richards of the Journal Sentinel  Aug. 15, 2011 12:02 p.m. | Layoff notices have been issued to about 40% of the Wisconsin Education Association Council workforce, a total of 42 employees who work for the state's largest teachers union, Executive Director Dan Burkhalter confirmed Monday.
Burkhalter said that the layoffs and other budget cuts at WEAC are a result of Gov. Scott Walker's "union-busting" legislation.
“Right now we’re engaged in membership continuation campaigns," Burkhalter said in a statement. "We’ve made steady progress in signing up members and we anticipate further progress will be made as the school year resumes. Despite budget cuts and layoffs, our goal remains the same: to be a strong and viable organization that represents the voices of Wisconsin’s public school employees.”
The organization has been working to stay relevant in a time when state legislation has severely clipped the collective bargaining rights of teachers and other public workers. The legislation makes it illegal for local teachers unions to electronically deduct dues from the payroll of teachers, and local unions also have to hold re-certification votes.
The Wisconsin Association of School Boards estimates that about 275 school districts in the state are working outside of collective bargaining agreements and subject to the new legislation. About 150 or so districts are operating under contracts that were extended with their respective unions before the legislation passed.(322)
Forgive me for not caring...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Wisconsin Teachers Union Layoffs 40%
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
Don't forget to thank the union thugs[in the union leadership] that spent the $25 million dollars that prevents the 42 people from keeping their jobs.

St762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
Governor Walker causing Wisconsin job losses...............I can't stop laughing ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Maybe Mary Bell of WEAC needs to run more TV commercials with union money. Ya, that would help ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:58:51 PM »
I suspect that when the teachers realize they don't have to pay the unions anymore, they will drop out of the unions, and spend the money on their families, and the unions can be flushed down the drain.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:13:20 AM »
I suspect that when the teachers realize they don't have to pay the unions anymore, they will drop out of the unions, and spend the money on their families, and the unions can be flushed down the drain.

That's the plan.  And it's working perfectly!!!  The 50 year mistake of allowing the public unions to form is history. Just so we learn from history.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 04:01:01 AM »
I have always been one, that if I didn't like how I was being treated at work, I'd go find new work. The unions may or may not have been a good thing in the past, but they are certainly an example today, of power corrupting, to the point of failure.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 04:40:53 AM »
  Some people here have accused union members of acting like thugs..and have been roundly criticized for it. Some nerve, accusing some union members of thuggery..
   http://www.myfoxal.com/story/15273318/lambertville-vandalism-turns-life-threatening?clienttype=printable
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)