Author Topic: Conicals jamming  (Read 628 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Conicals jamming
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:58:30 AM »
When I load conicals in my Ruger Old Army and fire, sometimes an unfired one will move forward thus stopping the cylinder from rotating. I have this problem with two types of conicals but not round balls. I'm thinking maybe the 30g 777 pellet is stopping the conical from seating properl? Would switching to loose fff help?

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Conicals jamming
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:40:44 AM »
I do NOT own or shoot a ROA but before others can answer, what are the diameters of your chambers?  What are the diameters of the conicals?  Are you shaving a lead ring from the conicals when you seat them? 

With round balls, if I do not get the lead ring I have had problems.  With the ring, no problems.  I would think it the same with conicals but will hope others with experience answer.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:47:27 AM »
I am getting the shaved ring with round balls but not with conicals so much. Both however are supposed ot be .457 diameter. Now where can I buy  .457 conicals of a different? If I can find them, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
If they are pure lead, you might try just using a flat press or jaws of a vice (flat metal side) to squeeze them down a bit.  This works better if you have a .457 lube sizer to re-shave em, but just to test, might work enough if you aren't too agressive on the smushin.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
What make of conicals are you using?
This is a common problem when cap and ball shooters use lead bullets designed for the .45 ACP or .45 Long Colt. Not only are they smaller than useful for the Ruger, but they lack a heel to start them straight in the chamber.
Or, you may have picked up conicals made for non-Ruger cap and ball revolvers. The Ruger requires a .457 ball, and a commensurately larger conical bullet, to ensure it stays in the chamber during recoil. Other .44 cap and ball revolvers fare better with .454 balls and conicals.
Tacklebury is right: you can squeeze the bullet a bit in a vice, but if it has a heel (a reduced step on the base, smaller than the chamber) you may also increase the heel diameter to where it's too big to enter the chamber and becomes useless.
Not sure where you can buy conicals for that Ruger. The Lee conical bullet, made especially for the Ruger, is not commercially available as far as I know. Those that use it cast their own, or get them from a buddy.
Lee makes two versions of the same cap and ball .44 mould. One bullet weighs 200 grains and is designed for most revolvers. The other version weighs 220 grains and is made slightly larger in diameter for the Ruger.
Pick up a Dixie Gun Works catalog and you'll find a large assortment of conical bullets in there that are not listed online. You may find a conical that is sufficiently large diameter. If not, you may have to cast your own with a Lee mould.
The Lee bullet, in either diameter, has a reputation for very good accuracy. Of all the conical bullets I've tried in the past 40 years or so, it remains my most accurate. But that's only for the .44 caliber Lee. I've not found the .36 caliber Lee design particularly accurate, delivering 4 to 5-inch groups at 25 yards from a benchrest.
The Lee .44 caliber bullet in my revolvers will consistently deliver at least 2" groups, and often smaller in certain revolvers. My Uberti-made Remington .44 is particularly accurate with the Lee 200 grain bullet, putting all 6 bullets into a 2" circle at 25 yards, from a benchrest.
But I don't shoot conicals often. Balls are equally accurate and far easier to find or procure. I put holes in paper or tin cans and don't need the increased energy of a conical for that task.
If anyone knows of a store-boughten source for Lee conicals, chime in. I've yet to find one. I hope the above helps.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."