Author Topic: Don't just throw out your old Brass  (Read 1043 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Don't just throw out your old Brass
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
I save my wore out stuff and assorted range pick-up (clean up actually) and toss it in an
ice cream pail near my bench.
When that pail git's near full I bring it in to the local salvage yard.

The stuff is up,,  $2.00 a pound! That ice cream pail landed me $25

I don't know `bout you guy's, but that's a box of bullets or a pound of powder where I live.  ;D

Just sayin,,
found elsewhere

Offline tunnug

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Don't just throw out your old Brass
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
I keep a 5 gl. bucket by my bench, I pitch in all my non-usable brass in there, it's about half full right now, when I fill it it'll fetch me $80/90.

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:03:03 AM »
I just sold 3 Folger's coffee cans of brass. It's only $1.75 here but that was good for 45 bucks & change. I was a very good husband. My wife had mentioned a new pair of shoes to go with the closet full of nearly new shoes she already has.  ::) I handed her the check and told her to put it in on the new shoes. After all I have to pay for them one way or the other.  :'(

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
Do you have to deprime it before selling it?

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
The primers are made of the same non magnetic material as the brass--what I do with my fired primers is put them in rifle brass that isn't any good anymore--when the brass is full I crimp the end over with pliers. I have  been picking up a lot of berdan primed rifle brass at the local shooting range--works good for holding the spent primers. Really adds to the weight of the scrap brass.

cybin

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:57:47 AM »
 Our local yard takes'm with spent primers in. I've never even been questioned. If I scrap a case because a primer pocket has worn/gotten too loose, I'll pop the primer out just for saftey sake down the line.
found elsewhere

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
 The OWL recycle company will only pay HALF value for the brass with "STAINLESS" primers. I told him the primers are really plated brass. He replied "I said they are stainless so that's what I'll pay for! I brought my empties back home  and now have 2 five gallon buckets full. He also does not like shiny primed brass as it MIGHT be holding LIVE primers.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
I save all my junk brass for my bro-in-law.  He's into blacksmithing, so he melts it down and pours it into ingots to use as knife hilts, etc.

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:26 AM »
Its not the primers guys, its the small piece of steel inside the primer. The anvil of the primer, althouh small makes it what they call irony brass. Clean Brass was around $3/lb last time I asked, Irony brass is just over a dollar. It pays to knock thoes primers out. A big scrapyard is very particular, They make their money reselling scrap. They can't afford to loose $.10 a lb on somthing as that is probably most of there profit.

I had 300 3/4" brass sprinklers that were wore out and I sold for scrap. If I had taken the time to pull the pin and springs on them the extra money I would have got could have bought a nice rifle. I was stuborn and didn't want to haul them back home.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »
Nice to hear I'm not the only one who does this.
My g'kids pick up 22 brass behind themselves out in the backyard.
It's the trade off for letting them shoot all they want.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Back when I belonged to gun clubs the only brass I picked up was to clean up what some slob shooter did not pick up himself.   It all went in the 55 gallon drums provided for it at the ranges... figured it helped them make a few bucks on it.   I've also picked up brass left laying in quantity out in the wilds from some nimrods target pratice, and gave it to the ranges when I still belonged to them.   Just trashed it after that.   I don't recycle it myself, not worth the drive across town to me, but UI was at the range at least one day a week to shoot in matches.   Guess you folks would sneer if you knew what I did with about 275 pounds of pure lead when I stopped casting.    But I did send about 20K primers and maybe 2K caps to the range when I stopped reloading and shooting muzzies via a friend who still belonged to it to just give away to anybody that wanted them.   Was the easiest way for me to get rid of them.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:27:51 AM »
Top Brass will give you $2.25

I used to send all my berdan primed brass in exchange for 5x7 when they had it.

Doug

http://www.scharch.com/brassexchange.php

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
That's a great link !!  ;D
Thank's Doug
found elsewhere

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
rdmalloy, any idea why Top Brass won't take .22 rimfire?  I understand the no nickle plated brass but why not .22 rf?

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »
rdmalloy, any idea why Top Brass won't take .22 rimfire?  I understand the no nickle plated brass but why not .22 rf?

No unless it falls through their sorting equipment.

Doug