Author Topic: Got my new 20 gauge USH today, some questions?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline LEE IN VA.

• Trade Count: (0)
Got my new 20 gauge USH today, some questions?
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
Mounted my Bushnell trophy 1.75-5x32 scope on it with millet medium rings, perfect fit, hammer all but touches scope with spur installed.   

What pre and post cleaning needs to be done on the barrel?

Any advice for sighting in?  Fastest way to get on paper?  Got an assortment of shells not all I wanted but cost adds up fast.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Got my new 20 gauge USH today, some questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:11:50 AM »
With any new (to me, brand new or used) I give the barrel a quick solvent clean and dry it, then start shooting.
As to getting on paper, set up a target , I like those 'scope sight-in ones with the 1" squares, but anything you have will do, at about 50yds., open the action and bag or box the gun . You look down the bore at the target center and adjust the scope to see the same spot. Remember that when doing this you adjusted the scope adjusters opposite of what they say; ie, go Left to adjust to the right. I usually find that the elevation is a little low when I go to shooting real ammo, but its on the bull and windage often is really close.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Best advice I ever got regarding slug guns was to get as many different types of sabots you can and shoot for group size before you start sighting it in. Find out what it likes to shoot it makes sight in alot easier.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline LEE IN VA.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:16:24 PM »
Would I use any bore cleaning solvent with brush, cloth patches, bore snake?

Offline LEE IN VA.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »
Got to shoot the gun today.  First of all the trigger is very heavy! Anything I can do to make it lighter? After shooting 20 rounds of various slugs I got better as I shot it. I shot Federal Barnes expanders, Remington copper solids,  Last slugs were Hornadys and they were 5 shots 2" at 50 yds.  using sandbag rest on my four wheeler rear rack sitting on a folding stool.  The gun kicks a little harder than I thought,  might get a limbsaver pad.     

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »
Limbsaver isnt a bad idea, but unless you are planning on shooting it from a rest in a blind about 5 times or more in a row you probably wont notice it while hunting, plus you will likely have on more clothes for padding.
See the FAQs for trigger tune info.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline LEE IN VA.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
Yeah, I won't notice it hunting but my shoulder is sore now from those 20 shots. lol! Seems like the small grind to fit Limbsaver is the on to use.  I checked faq on the trigger mods.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Try Buckhammers and Lightfields. My sons 20ga USH will clover leaf the buckhammers at 75 yards
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:06:59 AM »
As to getting on paper, set up a target , I like those 'scope sight-in ones with the 1" squares, but anything you have will do, at about 50yds., open the action and bag or box the gun . You look down the bore at the target center and adjust the scope to see the same spot. Remember that when doing this you adjusted the scope adjusters opposite of what they say; ie, go Left to adjust to the right. I usually find that the elevation is a little low when I go to shooting real ammo, but its on the bull and windage often is really close.

Before you do this... mechanically center the scope.  Twist the knob all the way left, then count clicks to the right, then go back to the left half that number.  Twist up or down all the way, then count clicks all the way in the opposite direction, then go back half that number.

Then go back and boresight as above.

Last two scopes I've done that way have been within 2 inches at 50 yds on the first three rounds.  Maybe I just got lucky but it seems to be working for me.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
Here's a much easier way to center the reticle on a scope.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,150603.msg1098631050.html#msg1098631050
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:24 PM »
Ive always figured that the less I cranked a scope's adjusters to the extremes, the better. I have used the mirror trick, just to try it out, and it worked on 2, but not on the 3rd (IIRC it was my AO 20X), and they werent far off. When I mount a rail I eyeball it to make sure it is not pointing way off to one side and mount up a scope (you can lay a yardstick along one too, it will be obvious if it is crooked) then bore sight as described. The only clicks that matter are the ones that get it on target, unless it is mounted so far off that you are near the end of adjustment.
Just my way of going about it, I sure dont mind if you want to do something else  ;) .
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline LEE IN VA.

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »
I had mine about 12" below POA at 50 yds. by just looking down bore and adjusting scope to same spot.

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:19:40 AM »
That mirror trick sounds pretty nifty.  I'm gonna try it tonight.  I don't play video games and don't have the greatest hand/eye coordination in the world.  I probably have a bit of a time with it but... it is worth a try.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
   Keep in mind that any time you shoot off the bench you are placing yourself in the worst possible position for absorbing recoil. When you're out in the field recoil won't be as bad.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:26:31 PM »
Lee,

I have a 20 gauge USA and wouldn't trade it for nothing until IL allows rifles for whitetails.  I have a limbsaver pad and use Remington Accutip sabot slugs.  I shoot it for group once a year at 100 yards to check my scope and it hasn't shot more than 2.5" for 3 shots.  I would definitely recommend doing a trigger job.  Perklo's tutorial is super detailed.  Another thing, the accutips have significantly less recoil.

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline LEE IN VA.

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
Been having some issues getting it sighted in but have found the cause.  I have spent close to $200 trying every slug I can find locally that normally works in 20 gauge.  I notice today while shooting my scope moved foward twice it started hitting the hammer is the reason I noticed.  I got home after a terrible range trip with groups of 3 not much tighter than a dollar bill would cover at 50 yds. I started thinking the top and bottom of the scope rings were touching with not a sign of daylight between them.  I take the scope off at the base and the front ring turns while tightened all the way down. I have put some plastic strips in the saddles front and rear but may try another set of rings, don't know if its in the rings or possibly undersize scope?

I have a couple more issues, one is twice using 3" Lightfields and 2 3/4" Remington accu tips the shell didn't eject, I had to push it out with a stick.  Do I need to run a wire brush in the chamber every so ofter to prevent this?

Second is I had failure to fire happen three times with the above mentioned slugs.  What causes this?

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 07:47:18 AM »
Not holding the trigger full back can cause misfires (as can short firing pin protrusion or transfer bar issues), but concentrate on keeping the trigger pulled well back instead of just 'tripping the sear' like we get used to on so many other guns. Hard kickers can recoil so hard and fast that it makes you not follow thru with the trigger!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
Also scope interference with the hammer can cause ftf.

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
You can put a small strip of electrical tape or friction tape in the saddle of the scope rings.
I have done this many times.
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.