Author Topic: powder shift in weight  (Read 409 times)

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
powder shift in weight
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
i was loading up some 454 boolits today loaded about 200 then ran out off powder
cabals is close by so i went up there bought a few pounds it was on sale $21. a pound
i think anyway there was a shift in weight about a grain and a half  out of my powder measure
from lot to lot has this happend to you i was using H110

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: powder shift in weight
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »
Sure, I see it all the time.  Each lot can vary in volume vs weight, same as they can vary slightly in burn rate, etc.  Always check your measure, always work up new loads, etc. when changing lots of powder, especially if anywhere close to max.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:37:47 AM »
i was loading up some 454 boolits today loaded about 200 then ran out off powder
cabals is close by so i went up there bought a few pounds it was on sale $21. a pound
i think anyway there was a shift in weight about a grain and a half  out of my powder measure
from lot to lot has this happend to you i was using H110

With the density of H-110, I can't imagine that much of a variation...

H-110 meters nearly perfectly with a preset charge weight...

I also don't know what charge you are using, but that 1.5 grain discrepency would also be a pretty high percentage...

I think something got our of adjustment somewhere between your last thrown charge with the old powder and the new powder...

Just my thoughts...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:41:42 AM »

With the density of H-110, I can't imagine that much of a variation...

H-110 meters nearly perfectly with a preset charge weight...

I also don't know what charge you are using, but that 1.5 grain discrepency would also be a pretty high percentage...

I think something got our of adjustment somewhere between your last thrown charge with the old powder and the new powder...

Just my thoughts...

Good-luck...BCB\\\
i weigh about every 10 rounds and the last one was spot on my load is 27,5 of H110 & a 300gr
cast boolit my powder measure is a older redding ill have to watch my measure to see if that's
it or not
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:51:58 AM »
That’s nearly a 5.5% discrepancy…

That is too much difference in my opinion.  Especially for a ball powder like H-110 that meters nearly perfectly every time...

Good-luck…BCB

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:20:10 AM »
What powder measure are you using? The reason is ask, is some types of powder measures (like Dillon) move the body of the powder measure as they cycle. In a nutshell, this means that the first several throws can be, and usually are, lighter that the final ones. This is caused, of course by the powder settling in the measure, making the powder stack on the measuring chamber denser the more you use it. Static, or non-moving measures (like Hornady) are more consistent, as long as they use a powder baffle. Still, I always "throw away" the first 10-20 throws from any powder measure if top accuracy is my goal, or if I'm using top end load data. Also, check the weights of your powder charges regularly as you load. Flake & stick powders are often the worst offenders in this regard, ball powders usually settle down pretty quickly. And, as mentioned before, powders physical caracteristics can vary from lot to lot, and every time you change powder lots, everything is subject to re-evaluation.