Author Topic: six diff sks to feed  (Read 474 times)

Offline indymadcaster

• Trade Count: (0)
six diff sks to feed
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »
I have a bunch of cast 160gr lee gaschecked sized@ 312heattreated and lubed with felix lube. I am looking at accurate 5744 accurate arms I do not want to work up pet loads for each for logistics reasons looking for each one, we are looking for 2 to 3 inch groups@ 50 to 75yards. I am open to suggestions we have Russian, chinese and paratrooper models.

indymadcaster

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: six diff sks to feed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
I would starter with 11.0 grs.  of Alliant 2400 and increase the charge by 0.5 grs. till you get reliable cycling in the rifles,do not use more than 15.0 grs. MAX charge in the 7.62 x 39 case.  Russians and Yugoslavian rifles on some occasions tend to require the higher end powder charge ( the MAX load of 15.0 grs.) to cycle where the Chinese rifles do not.

My Chinese SKS will cycle reliably with 12.5 grs. of 2400 MV@1400+fps. and drop the brass right at my feet,whereas my Yugo take the MAX charge of 15.0 grs. MV at 1900+ fps.  Both rifles using the Lee 160 gr. TL gas check bullet cast from water quenched WW alloy drops from my mold at just a hair under .314,5 shot groups average from one ragged hole in the Chinese to a little under and inch at 50 yds. in the Yugo. 

For any SKS that want cycles with the 2400 load a starting load of 18.0 grs. of Reloader #7 will send the brass flying about 10' in most ever version of SKS I've tried it in.  Can't help you with the AA powders  nobody sells that brand of powder around here.

Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: six diff sks to feed
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
5744 may not get you where you want to go, but AA1680 certainly will and it's a lot cheaper. About 20gr. to start and work up until your gun runs right. You have the correct bullet, so you shouldn't have trouble finding something that works. IIRC around 23-24gr. is about the same as regular mil spec ammo in energy, a little slower in velocity due to the heavier bullet.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."