Author Topic: Leupold Vari-X III 4.5X14X50mm for $449???  (Read 2509 times)

Offline atmag95

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold Vari-X III 4.5X14X50mm for $449???
« on: December 29, 2003, 08:03:58 PM »
Newbie here to GBO.com.

I have been lurking/researching a purchase of a new rifle/scope and I was just about convinced to purchase a Bushnell Elite 4200 since they are cheaper than the Vari-X III's and seem to have a nice following on these boards.

But I came across the aformentioned scope in a local gunshop since they are clearing them out for the 2004 model Vari-X III's.

What do y'all think I should do? Get the Leupold at that price or pay just a bit less for the Bushnell Elite 4200???

Thanks a bunch for the replies!!!

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 12:22:55 AM »
First of all let me say the Leupold Vari X lll 4.5x14x40 AO is an excellant scope, I just traded one off for a different model. Why did I trade it? The eye position was very critical for a Leupold and I didn't need that power range for a hunting rifle. The Bushnell will be brighter and less money as well as a dandy rainguard feature thats worth its weight in gold for hunting in less than perfect conditions.

Do you need that level of power? The AO will add a lens and therefore reduce brightness slightly and the FOV will be smaller of course. I would choose the Bushnell 4200 Elite in this case (I have a 4x16x40 AO now on a varmint gun and its very nice I prefered it over the Leupold). For general hunting the 2.5x10x40 4200 is a hard scope to beat and gives a good low power range for close in or jump shooting.

Just my two cents..........they are low balling the Vari X lll's for the new VX lll's and that is a good price by the way.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline atmag95

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 03:30:22 AM »
Appreciate the reply!

I know they are low-balling the Vx-III's before introducing their new line of 2004 scopes. This dealer also had the 3x9x50 and other VxIII's on sale as well.

I was not aware of the extra lens on the VxIII's. That will play a decision in that power of scope. I am hunting now in the Texas Hill Country and on one of our tower placements we have some 200+ draws off a ridge. That's the reason i'm interested in that power of a scope. If not for me hunting on this new land, i'd settle for something w/ a little less power.

I'll check out the local prices on the 4200's and make a decision.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 05:14:23 AM »
No way do you need that kinda power for shots of that distance. A 3-9 has all the power needed to 300 yards or more. That 50mm objectives will force you to mount it on high rings and will not be as easy to shoot with it way up in the air. Harder to get your head down on the stock that way.

If I were you I'd get a 3-9 or 2.5-8/10 power scope. I think you'll be much happier with it and likely save money. Magazine writers have gotten folks convinced you need a varmint scope on hunting rifles for big game these days. BS. If you can't see to make the shot at 9-10x then it is too far to shoot anyway.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Leupold Vari-X III 4.5X14X50mm for $449???
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 10:47:17 AM »
Quote from: atmag95
Newbie here to GBO.com.

I have been lurking/researching a purchase of a new rifle/scope and I was just about convinced to purchase a Bushnell Elite 4200 since they are cheaper than the Vari-X III's and seem to have a nice following on these boards.

But I came across the aformentioned scope in a local gunshop since they are clearing them out for the 2004 model Vari-X III's.

What do y'all think I should do? Get the Leupold at that price or pay just a bit less for the Bushnell Elite 4200???

Thanks a bunch for the replies!!!
.........I like and use the Leupold scopes and have one like you are looking at but it is on a high monte carlo thumb hole/pistol grip stock that makes the high mounted scope be perfect for a heads up hold with the cheek piece so high........for normal use the 50mm is just too large requiring the mount-rings to be too high unless you have a long neck and high head hold.........I wouldn't mind the power range as the 4.5lower power is great for anything but dark woods hunting at close range...but the 50mm just doesn't work in the field on a normal stocked gun for me and several of my hunting/shooting buddies.........I HEAR good things about the Bushnell 4200's but KNOW the Leupold quality and support from many years of great scopes and service when/if needed........hard to go wrong with either choice.....and the 50 might work for you? but I would be sure......HTH...good luck and good shooting with a good clear well mounted scope!!

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 10:50:16 AM »
Actually you'll find any Adjustable Objective scope will have the extra lens and that will simply take a tiny bit more light away passing thru another lens. I do believe that a 9-10x scope will be plenty for 200-300yd shots on deer size game and there are advantages to staying with the 2.5x10x40 Bushnell or 3.5x10x40 Leupold rather than going to the higher powered variable scopes.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline atmag95

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 11:28:08 AM »
Thanks for the input gents. I am seriously reconsidering that 4.5x14.50 like GB said. I guess my eyes aren't that bad in order for me to need that much power in a scope.

I guess I am gonnna consider the 3.5x10x40 or 3.5x10x50. The best buck I shot was just in the early morning as he was trekking from one bedding area to another, so, I guess I want a scope w/ great low light gathering in any hunting situation, i.e. open brush or hunting in oak thickets.

Thanks again for the input!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 03:54:33 PM »
Ya don't need 50mm objectives for that. Just good quality optics. From my experience most any Bushnell Elite 4200 or Leupold Vari-X III in the right power range is plenty adequate. For that matter I've yet to see the time a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 or a Bushnell Elite 3200 cost me a shot for lack of brightness. If it is legal shooting hours those scopes are plenty.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 05:12:24 AM »
Quote from: atmag95
Thanks for the input gents. I am seriously reconsidering that 4.5x14.50 like GB said. I guess my eyes aren't that bad in order for me to need that much power in a scope.

I guess I am gonnna consider the 3.5x10x40 or 3.5x10x50. The best buck I shot was just in the early morning as he was trekking from one bedding area to another, so, I guess I want a scope w/ great low light gathering in any hunting situation, i.e. open brush or hunting in oak thickets.

Thanks again for the input!

Take a look at the Elite 4200 2.5x-10x-40mm.  I recently bought this exact model from Jon at the Opticzone (actually, I have bought many scopes from him :wink: ).  I love all my 4200s and I think that this is the best all around scope!

Zachary

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 05:02:37 PM »
I have the exact Leupold scope you are considering on my 7mm Mag and you can't go wrong with it.  

I listen to all the talk about the 50mm being too large and high rings and all that, but when it's almost dark and that big boy walks out and you're setting there with a good old 3 x 9 x 40mm, guess what?

Without a doubt get the Leupold.

Offline atmag95

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 08:20:38 AM »
I figured i'd give you folks an update. I went ahead and got the Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40mm and I am very happy w/ it. It has very nice clarity, low light performance, and I really like the way it fits my new 7mm-08.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!