Author Topic: My new 20 Gauge USH range report  (Read 1685 times)

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
My new 20 Gauge USH range report
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Set my 20 Gauge USH up for the first time. Came with a really nice green laminated stock and forend. Had a steel rod inside the stock to increase weight, reduce recoil. Stock was too pretty so I swapped it out for a Monte Carlo pallet wood stock and a Schnabel forend that came with a 45/70 barrel. The forend is blond but it still looks okay. All I had on hand was a Jason 2-7X32 scope. I ordered five boxes of Fusion 20 Gauge 2 3/4 inch sabot slugs from Manventure Outpost. If you are not familiar with the Fusion sabots the 20 Gauge 2 /34 and 3 inch shells along with the 12 Gauge 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells all use the same 385 grain sabot slug. The bigger shells just shoot them faster. The bullet is the bonded Fusion slug made famous by Speer with their Unicore, Gold Dot, and Deep Curl lines. The jacket is chemically bonded to the core. You cannot separate them. Deadly.

Set the target up at 25 yards initially. Sighted down the bore and lined the scope up. First shot was about 4 inches low dead center. Left the rifle in the rest with the crosshairs on the center of the target and adjusted the scope so the crosshairs lined up with the bullet hole. Second shot was just a bit high. Made a slight adjustment and moved the target back to 75 yards. Grouped about 1.3 inches average. Recoil was well tamed by the heavy rifle. Left it there, sighted dead on at 75 yards. Could easily have gone farther if I needed to but I don't where I will be hunting.

Overall, I am very impressed. I have lived and hunted places where you had the option of using a shotgun or muzzleloader (no centerfire rifles) and I always chose a good muzzleloader due to the fact that a sabot bullet could reach out there 150 yards or more and due to the accuracy of the muzzleloader. The USH changes that. It gives me all the advantages of the muzzledloader along with a quick reload capability and no messy cleanup required.

Offline JamesIII

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: My new 20 Gauge USH range report
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
cjrjck, good shooting! I also have a USH 20 and sure don't feel under powered. That 2-7X32 scope should work quite well for a 150+ yd gun. I would take a couple of pokes out to 150 yds just to get an idea of what it can do, in case the occasion were to arrise where you would need it. I shoot the 260 gr Win. Partition Golds's through mine and get along quite well. Funny, I take the fancy stocks off the guns heading to the field also, then the only time anyone sees them is when they are in the gun safe, just ain't right! This should all lead to meat in the freezer or maybe even a wall hanger. Best of luck, JamesIII

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
Try buck hammers my sons 20ga USH will clover leaf them at 75 yards
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
Looked for some Buckhammer slugs and could not find any locally. Was able to get the Fusion bonded sabot slugs for $8 a box plus shipping. Hard to beat that deal.

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »
Thanks for the reports guys.
I have been using a USH for about 4 years and it is by far the most accurate slug gun I have ever owned. And I have had a few.
I have been using Lightfiel sabots ever since I got the gun, but what the heck happened?  I used to buy them for $5-$6 a box and now this year they are $18.99? Are you kidding me?
I will be trying some of your favorites this year.
Thanks again.
Now I don't have to ask my question. :D

I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.