Author Topic: Please tell me what you think.  (Read 490 times)

Offline nicksw81

• Trade Count: (0)
Please tell me what you think.
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:14:01 AM »
Thanks again to everyone who helped me figure out what i have.  I got the tools done this morning so i thought i post a picture please tell me what you  think.  The middle is obviously the bore mop the paint roller slides down to the small lip that you can baely see.  Nick

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Please tell me what you think.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
 8)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »
nicksw81, Looks good, I like your worming tool.  You should consider making a safety rammer.  It will move your hand outside of the line of fire when loading. 

Offline dittles

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
 I second what Dominick said! It's easy to make.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
I would taper the head of the ramrod and swab so if there was an unscheduled  ignition  that as the rods were propelled out the bore they slide  through you hands forcing your fingers open, minimizing damage. As they are now as the head will probably tear you hand up ans tear your fingers off.

Actually if you follow proper gun drill and do it correctly this will never happen.

http://www.americanartillery.org/aaa/marty.html

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:49:51 AM »
nicksw81,

You did a fine job on the tools, but I would also suggest that you give serious consideration to what Dominic said. With a double poled safety rammer your hands and arms will be kept out of harms way. The safety rammer that flagman1776 mentioned is called a Mississippi style rammer, and I think it's an excellent option for the loading of larger artillery pieces, where the use of a double poled safety rammer might be considered akward and unwieldy.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.