Author Topic: Anybody tried the Harvester Saber Tooth bullets in the Huntsman/Sidekick?  (Read 918 times)

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
I saw where Bubba posed the question about 6 years ago with no results. Thought I'd ask again and see if anyone has tried them and what kind of accuracy was obtained and killing results on game taken if any. Anybody used them?
I was thinking that maybe the bullet held together better than the Powerbelt bullets and maybe as accurate or more accurate than the powerbelts.
I don't really want to use a sabot/bullet combination.
 I figure the powerbelts or saber tooths are about as modern as i want to get with the projectiles. SHots will be no more than a 100 yards and more likely a lot closer.
I also wonder if the powerbelt bullet fragmentation is tied to velocity as it seems they perform better at distance.
I know that 240gr bullets fired in a 444 marlin will often display the same kind of performance on deer and blow up on contact with shallow penetration or the bullet disentigrates inside the deer with no exit. The 444 does seem to perform better with rib cage shots with this bullet however and punches a hole through both sides without lots of destruction of the meat.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anybody tried the Harvester Saber Tooth bullets in the Huntsman/Sidekick?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I am surprised no one has used these.

When I had my ML barrel installed several years ago, I didn;t want to pay $1 a piece for powerbelts or similar bullets. I had heard good things about the then new "crush rib sabots" from Harvester so I decided to try them with their 260gr Scorpion Funnel Point bullets (Still about $12 for a 30 pack of bullet/sabot).

I found them to be accurate,easy to load and knocked a deer in the dirt, so I have never tried anything else.
I have heard a lot of bad reports on the Powerbelt performance on a popular local hunting forum I read often.
I would not be afraid to try the Harvester Saber Tooth's if I was wanting a new bullet. I see them listed now as "claybuster Harvester", I don't know if they changed hands or names or whatever.
Midsouth usually has the best prices on them.

Good luck!
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline walmpus

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
Sorry for the delayed reply but my password has been screwed up for about a month and I could get on here. I tried the saber tooth 275 grain bullets. I was sent some free samples so thats why I tried them. I have to save that for the 1st time since 2003 I found a bullet my huntsman did not like. I couldnt even get it to hit a 4 x 8 piece of plywood at 100 yards. I really dont know why my gun doesnt like them. I can stuff any bullet down my barrel from 200 to 300 grains with 80 to 100 grains of powder and I can hit the target all day long............but those saber tooth bullets were just a no go. I was sent 10 samples and I tried my best to hit the target and never could. So that obviously means I dont have any field reports either.

But the last 3 years I have been using the scorpion pt gold 300 grain with the matching rib crusher sabot with DEVASTATING results and accuracy. I hear good things about the 260 grain version as well but they are always out of them when I try to order them. If your really interested in giving them a try call harvester and ask for a sample and they will send you some.Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. Also, I remember reading a post on here that someone was hunting with the saber tooth bullets and it just fell out of the end of the barrel. Hope this helps.

wcb

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:58:19 AM »
I went with the Hornady FPB 350gr bullets and 80grs of BH209.
they shoot great in my Huntsman and are easy to load.
From what I have seen they have great performance on deer.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.