Author Topic: Cva elite stalker?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Cva elite stalker?
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »
My dad just picked up the cva elite stalker in 30-06. Does anyone here have any experience with this rifle and feedback on them?   Thanks

Offline Default_Required

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cva elite stalker?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
Can't say just yet , Bought one today for my wife in 7mm08... I'll be sure to chime back in after I get it to the range ...

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »
I bought one off of the close out rack at Dick's several months back. I've only had it to the range one time, and if memory is correct, I believe that groups were around 2" at 100 yds. I didn't keep the targets.  I'm sure that it will do much better when I get time to try some different loads.

Recoil wasn't bed. They seem to have a pretty good pad on 'em.

All in all, I'm pleased with it. It's a stainless model that was marked at $179.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
pretty good find Parson, I gave $215 for the one I just got home today , dang "Delayed" BS on the NICS ... Though this 7-08 came with a simmons scope ( 8 point ) and a nice camo'd nylon sling with suede on the under side.

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:23 AM »
Yep! i live close to a Dick's store, so I check the close out rack pretty regularly. Their regular prices are typically high, but when they close 'em out they mark 'em way down.

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 02:44:44 AM »
yes it was marked way down, he picked it up for $140 stainless with the black synthetic stock no sling or scope or even the scope rails but for that price who is complaining as long as it is a shooter. 

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »
Wow it didn't take long for me to remember why i hate bottom shelf scopes.  Took 10 rounds to get point impact to point of aim. Normally this takes 3-4 shots for me. Accuracy looks like 1.5-1.75" @ 100 yrds.  So far I'm happy with it and I haven't tried hand loading for it yet.

Offline Freightman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »
Thanks for the review I am thinking about one after Christmas, ( everyone else's gifts come first) I am looking at the 45/70 as I am hooked on the big bores. I have a Shiloh in 45/70 and a Remington Rolling block made in 1883 in 45/70 and I have found them easy to load for and to cast bullets for with no problems. The '06 would be great also as I load and cast for that also might just save a little more and get both.

Offline evidrine

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »
I have the Optima elite in .45/70 and a stalker in .270. Both very good guns. Absolutely love to shoot the .45/70. I can pass 225gr Hornadys through it all day. I keep this one with open sights. The .270 is a nice shooting rifle also. I dont know if its the gun or the Hornady ammo, but this thing does a number on my shoulder. I think I may switch to the managed recoil loads for this gun. I am very satisfied with both rifles. Deff a good buy.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
I insticntively would guess the 45/70 to be a shooter , since the boys over in the handi section found long ago that the rimmed calibers do quite well in a single shot platform . 

As for recoil in my rifle , it wasn't a fair comparison to my other rifle since it was pretty cold out and my jacket was thick , But the 7-08 is known to be pretty mild on the recoil end of things. The real test will be when the rifle is fired by my wife  ( shes the one I bought it for , Least thats the story I'm sticking with ;)  )

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
I got the Stalker in .444 and converted it to a .410 slug gun. I shot it today first time and everything went great. A plastic shotgun hull with 225gr. jhp. I have 355gr. hard cast gc coming for it, can't wait to get it on the bench!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte